Regular Contributor

Re: $50 for a discovery kit!

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Mesmerize wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Tatcha has a strong following, many people love it.  Tatcha, in general, is too expensive, IMO.  Plus, the talc in the exzyme powder can be irritating to some people.  When Victoria first came on QVC, right around 2 yrs. ago, I was intrigued by the cleansing oil and enzyme powder (all she offered at the time) but just couldn't justify the expense.  I still haven't tried Tatcha, but have been delighted with the Dr. Young Camellia Cleansing Oil dupe I found and have been using since then.  If I hadn't seen that Tatcha demo, I would have never been prompted to search for an alternative and I wouldn't have experienced the improvement in my complexion from using a good cleansing oil.  At that time, I also discovered Fleur de Lis Enzyme Powder.  I was very pleased with it and was recommending it for awhile, but then I remembered something from my past (Eminence Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant) which I've gone back to.  I get both of them on Amazon.  It's a little bit of an investment at first, but the containers are larger than Tatcha's regular sized products, and are still less expensive.  

@JeanLouiseFinch, would you mind sharing what that dupe is?  I also used to use a camellia cleansing oil years ago that I loved, but it has since been discontinued and I haven't come across anything similar.  Thanks!

@Mesmerized169  I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're asking me.  Dr. Young Camellia Deep Cleansing Oil is the name of the dupe.  If you can help me better understand what you're asking I'd be happy to answer.    

@JeanLouiseFinch - Oops!  Sorry, I read that wrong & misunderstood.  iI thought you meant that you were using a dupe of the Dr Young product. 

Respected Contributor

@segrl21 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the responses and especially to those that like Tatcha. I'm a cheapo when it comes to skincare so knowing other discovery kits are around the same price range, makes me feel a bit better about the price. When I looekd at their website saw that it is a more expensive brand. Hope you ladies that ordered it enjoy the kit Smiley Happy

You're not a cheapo. If you are familiar with beautipedia, look at the reviews of this line and the specific products in this discovery kit. They range from three down to one star. I don't depend on their reviews but common sense is priceless. No offense intended to those who use the line. I can easily afford to but will not buy way overpriced skin care products that are no more effective than a multitude of other brands, not to mention skincare with known or potentially harmful ingredients. I'm glad the people who use this brand find it worthwhile for them.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If one is looking for a cleansing oil that milks up and disolves the dirt and make up, Amore Pacific Cleansing oil is the best!  It is 50 dollars for almost 7 ounces, and it lasts forever.  I don't know how they do it, but you massage a teeny bit onto face.  Then add water and massage in.  It gets a little milky and disolves dirt and make up, leaves face so tight and CLEAN!  It is free of. Parabens
- Sulfates
- Synthetic Dyes
- Petro-Chemicals
- Phthalates

Leaves face silky smooth.  They do have a discovery kit at Sephora and Nordie and Neiman's.  I alsways get smaples, and they are generous smples (the size of hotel shampoos)?

Just a thought if one was looking for mainly the cleansing oil.  It would have to last months,4- 6 months for me

Frequent Contributor

I tried some of their products from Sephora but they arent for my combo/oily skin at all. But I will say that I used basically the same cleanser for many years but it was from Dermologica called daily microfoliant. Ulta sells the travel size for like ten bucks if you want to try a similar rice based cleanser that activates with water. They are probably very similar ingredients too. 

Honored Contributor

@mgflores wrote:
I got this kit from last year and talc has never been one of the ingredients for the rice enzyme powder. I feel bad that this is listed on the ingredients when its incorrect, I can understand how Vicky feels upset about all the talk that is going on in here regarding talc. I personally use her products and there is nothing like them, at least not here at QVC. It is true that the oil doesn't leave you oily, I use her blotting papers too and they are not lying about anything on the presentation. If these products are out of your price range, simply don't purchase them.

It DID contain talc but earlier this year she stated that they removed the talc now.

Valued Contributor

Fifty dollars for less than 2 ounces of product is a RIDICULOUS price.

Respected Contributor

I'm go through phases with beauty products. Right now I'm a little over spending so much money. Quite frankly, I haven't found anything to be all that superior and start to feel like I'm falling for all the marketing hype. I don't even want to try something that costs this much for a full size product. 

Respected Contributor

@mgflores wrote:
I got this kit from last year and talc has never been one of the ingredients for the rice enzyme powder. I feel bad that this is listed on the ingredients when its incorrect, I can understand how Vicky feels upset about all the talk that is going on in here regarding talc. I personally use her products and there is nothing like them, at least not here at QVC. It is true that the oil doesn't leave you oily, I use her blotting papers too and they are not lying about anything on the presentation. If these products are out of your price range, simply don't purchase them.

I don't believe for many commenting it's inability to afford.  More likely it's "am I getting value?"  At least as far as the cleansing oil goes I'd have to give it a resounding No.  There are a number of cleansing oils that use almost identical formulas for a whole lot less.  Innesfree uses argan oil and pretty much the same other emulsifiers, etc. Argan oil is much more expensive than rice bran or Camilla oils yet Innisfree is around $10 for a large bottle.  While I have no problem with cetyl ethylhexanoate (emollient) I'd rather have a plant oil or two rather than it as a first ingredient for that kind of $$$.  I bet even the geishas would agree.