Honored Contributor

Re: 5 things Derm Doctors will never put on their face.

Everyone needs a retinol in my opinion and many derms opinions.  Some can't tolerate retin a, but they need, at least, a retinol. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

Everyone needs a retinol in my opinion and many derms opinions.  Some can't tolerate retin a, but they need, at least, a retinol. 

Hi Winamac,

Dr. Dray does mention retin-A in many of her vlogs. She has also mentioned multiple times that retinol in products need to work 1 step further/more than retin-A (hope that makes sense),  In the vlog I highlighted, she was making a generalization overall about "anti-aging" products.  She is very good about answering questions and on every vlog she has comments about skincare and products.

asltw

Super Contributor

I am so glad some of you have enjoyed Dr. Dray.  I came upon her vlogs about a month ago and tried to post it here, but they erased it.  She is excellent at responding and answering questions. 

asltw

Respected Contributor

@ASLTW

Thank you for posting about Dr. Dray's YouTube videos. I have now watched a few of her videos and have found them to be informative! I was surprised, however, to hear that she doesn't think there's any real benefit to using vitamin C serum. I'm pretty sure it's made a difference in my skin and I've read about others who have also seen results so, could we all just be seeing things? She does advocate using retinoids/retinol as well as BHA's so I'm not sure why she doesn't appear to think vitamin C applied topically is of any use.

Esteemed Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@ASLTW

Thank you for posting about Dr. Dray's YouTube videos. I have now watched a few of her videos and have found them to be informative! I was surprised, however, to hear that she doesn't think there's any real benefit to using vitamin C serum. I'm pretty sure it's made a difference in my skin and I've read about others who have also seen results so, could we all just be seeing things? She does advocate using retinoids/retinol as well as BHA's so I'm not sure why she doesn't appear to think vitamin C applied topically is of any use.

That surprised me, too. Not only that, but I thought she said that there were no studies or benefits about the effects of topical antioxidants.

My take-away is that it is just one person's opinion, and though I am a lay person, my personal experience tells me that I respectfully disagree with her.

Contributor

Might be off topic here but does this DR EAT?  She "looks" like she is anorexic.

Honored Contributor

@frisco wrote:

Might be off topic here but does this DR EAT?  She "looks" like she is anorexic.

@frisco, she has a thin face. She probably has a thin body. If she were obese, would you have commented? Either way is a form of body-shaming, isn't it?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@ASLTW

That surprised me, too. Not only that, but I thought she said that there were no studies or benefits about the effects of topical antioxidants.

My take-away is that it is just one person's opinion, and though I am a lay person, my personal experience tells me that I respectfully disagree with her.

I did not watch the videos but if it is true she stated that there are no benefits or studies showing topical antioxidants do anything for the skin, she is VERY out of touch. Anyone can find many, many scientific, peer reviewed journal articles regarding studies that show certain antioxidants do indeed have benefits. Often times, these benefits may not necessarily be "seen" by the user but they indeed help the skin at a cellular level.  An example of this is vitamin C helping fight free radicals caused by sun exposure which helps fight off sun damage to the the skin or vitamin A (found in a variety of oils like RHSO or retinoids) an Vitamin C in helping the skin produce collagen which, in turns, helps to prevent sagging and loss of elasticity in the skin.  There are an overwhelming amount of studies showing the benefits of topical antioxidants such as this. 

Super Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@ASLTW

I did not watch the videos but if it is true she stated that there are no benefits or studies showing topical antioxidants do anything for the skin, she is VERY out of touch. Anyone can find many, many scientific, peer reviewed journal articles regarding studies that show certain antioxidants do indeed have benefits. Often times, these benefits may not necessarily be "seen" by the user but they indeed help the skin at a cellular level.  An example of this is vitamin C helping fight free radicals caused by sun exposure which helps fight off sun damage to the the skin or vitamin A (found in a variety of oils like RHSO or retinoids) an Vitamin C in helping the skin produce collagen which, in turns, helps to prevent sagging and loss of elasticity in the skin.  There are an overwhelming amount of studies showing the benefits of topical antioxidants such as this. 

Hi HappyDaze,

I only mentioned Dr. Dray because she struck a HUGE chord with me.  I am not saying she knows everything.

Dr. Dray answers questions all the time.  Do you have an example of articles you mentioned?   I know she would respond to your articles and findings.

I have heard her say (in my words) if something works for you....great, but you don't have to pay so much for great skincare.

asltw

Super Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@ASLTW

Hi Beauties,

In other Dr. Dray vlogs, she has mentioned that if something works for you.... great (those are my words not hers...hahaha).  She doesn't feel you need to spend so much money on good skincare.  She  responds to everyone, so I know she will give you an honest, professional opinion or answer to ANY questions you have.

asltw