Super Contributor

Re: $400 FOR A HAIR DRYER? SERIOUSLY?

$400= top of the line hair dryer, that might last a lifetime

$400= two Junior's Piecaken's, also might last a lifetime

(I'm picturing the dreaded fruitcake that gets recycled year after year)

Prices often surprise me, but apparently there is a market out there.  If the hair dryer is as wondeful as they say it is then it could potentially be a great buy.

I'm not sure anyone will ever say that about the Piecaken Smiley Surprised

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Honored Contributor

@delish91

Got it.   Personally, I'm a very practical person, and anything that was taking up too much time would just be changed.  JMO.   

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@delish91

Got it.   Personally, I'm a very practical person, and anything that was taking up too much time would just be changed.  JMO.   

@Tinkrbl44 Yes, and for practical and economical people, buying a $400 hair dryer rather than having to pay and take the time for monthly haircuts to maintain a shortened and thinned cut could make sense. 

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@delish91

@Tinkrbl44 Yes, and for practical and economical people, buying a $400 hair dryer rather than having to pay and take the time for monthly haircuts to maintain a shortened and thinned cut could make sense. 

@WenGirl42

LOL .....  point taken.   Nevertheless, there are others here who have good hairdryers that cost hundreds of dollars less.  

I suppose there are some who go to the hairdresser monthly, but I'm not sure if I know any of them.   With many selections, one of the key questions asked will always be "what do you have more of ... money or time?"  

Frequent Contributor

Someone who buys a 400$ hairdryer has money to burn (not a thing wrong with that) or they have bought into the fantasy that this dryer will give u perfect hair every time.  Heat is heat, a 1500 watt cheap dryer has the same heat as an expensive 1500 watt hair dryer.   It all comes down to how much you are willing to pay for heat.

Honored Contributor

@Sabear wrote:

Someone who buys a 400$ hairdryer has money to burn (not a thing wrong with that) or they have bought into the fantasy that this dryer will give u perfect hair every time.  Heat is heat, a 1500 watt cheap dryer has the same heat as an expensive 1500 watt hair dryer.   It all comes down to how much you are willing to pay for heat.

@Sabear

Amen, sister!    lol    Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@delish91

@WenGirl42

LOL .....  point taken.   Nevertheless, there are others here who have good hairdryers that cost hundreds of dollars less.  

I suppose there are some who go to the hairdresser monthly, but I'm not sure if I know any of them.   With many selections, one of the key questions asked will always be "what do you have more of ... money or time?"  

@Tinkrbl44 That's exactly right!  IF this hairdryer solves a problem for someone with hair that takes too long to dry with less expensive dryers, then it's worth it for them.  I was just pointing out the tradeoffs inherent in your suggestion that having a shorter haircut would solve the drying time problem too.  I can tell you if I had my hair cut and thinned enough to cut my dry time in half, I'd have to get much more frequent haircuts than I do now, and that means I'd be spending more money and time there instead.   I would probably also have to wash or at least wet it more often (and have to dry it more often) to get it to style than I do with it longer.  Not much of a savings if I go from having to spend a total of 1.5 hours drying it 2x a week to spending a total of 1.3 hours drying it 4x a week.

That said, I don't know if the Dyson dryer will actually cut my dry time in half.  But if it does, I'll save up and buy it, and consider it money very well spent!

Trusted Contributor

@Sabear wrote:

Wow, so rude.  I just don't get the mentality of having to criticize other's purchases.  Not every product sold is going to be for every one.  I was only watching this post and commenting to help others who were interested in the dryer.  I typically ignore comments like this but I guess I'm in a snarky mood today.  I have no intention of justifying my purchase.  I'll just go back to my day where I live in my fantasy world of having perfect hair. 

Frequent Contributor

@Knit-Chick wrote:

@Sabear wrote:

Wow, so rude.  I just don't get the mentality of having to criticize other's purchases.  Not every product sold is going to be for every one.  I was only watching this post and commenting to help others who were interested in the dryer.  I typically ignore comments like this but I guess I'm in a snarky mood today.  I have no intention of justifying my purchase.  I'll just go back to my day where I live in my fantasy world of having perfect hair. 

I didn’t mean to be rude.  If that is how my post came across, I apologize.  I’m wasn’t trying to tell people how they should spend their money.  My post wasn’t directed at you or any specific poster. , it’s just my overall opinion of spending that much on a hairdryer.  

Honored Contributor

@Sabear wrote:

@Knit-Chick wrote:

@Sabear wrote:

I didn’t mean to be rude.  If that is how my post came across, I apologize.  I’m wasn’t trying to tell people how they should spend their money.  My post wasn’t directed at you or any specific poster. , it’s just my overall opinion of spending that much on a hairdryer.  

@Sabear  

I didn't think you were being the least bit rude .....   I started this thread because I thought the price was outrageous .... and that's JMO.

@Knit-Chick

Discussing (and criticizing purchases) happens on this message board all the time ... and that isn't rude in the least.   

If Joe Smith, hypothetical famous actor, was in the news for buying a $500,000 car, and your reaction was "wow, that's crazy to spend a half million on a car!" .....  are you being rude to criticize his purchase?