Respected Contributor

Do any of you use 4% Hydroquinone for facial sun/age spots?  If so, where does this fit into your skin routine, and what has been your results?  I hope I get some responses on this.  TIA!

Honored Contributor

This is not something that fits permanently into a skin care routine. It is potent and should only be used on the actual dark areas, not all over the face, and used only for 3 months. I had a huge melasma on my cheek and it was gone in 3 months time, never used the product again. Mine was RX from the derm doc.

Contributor

I have used this product for years ( plastic surgeon's office staff recommended it.  I get microdermabrasions there) and would not be without it!  I use it every night, mixing it in with nightime moisturizer.  You can apply it after serums also. But, as I said, I mix it in with moisturizer, then apply to face.  A clear, even skin tone is youthful, too!  Give it a try!  My experience has been very positive.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for the responses! Is this generally used in the PM or AM? If AM,  how long does one need to wait to apply sunscreen? If PM, how do you incorporate this in a skin routine with Retin A? I've read you should use it for up to 3 months, and then take 3 months off.

Esteemed Contributor

Just an FYI as 4% hydroquinone is an OTC drug item in Canada, but they keep it behind the counter so you have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter. A tube by Neostrata is about $40 CDN. It's to be used on the melasma or age spots. Remember to wear sunscreen and a hat while outdoors as you can repigment easily. Hydroquinone doesn't work that well for me.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg. Being quite fair, I always show dark spots from sun damage. I was given an RX for the OBAGI SYSTEM. It has cleanser, exfoliating lotion, SPF cream and 2 "bleaching" creams w/ hydraquinone. One of the bleaching creams is used for day under an spf and the night bleaching cream (about a thumb nail size amt.) is mixed in your hand w/ same amt. of RX strength Retin A and applied to the dark areas. In my case, the derm told me to use it all over face, neck and chest (day regimen & night, too) & be sure to get it on earlobes. This system really works. In 2-3 months, spots were gone. After 3 mos., I continue w/ just my Retin A. I do this for 6-8 wks. every fall when any signs of sun damage show up. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Ainhisg. Being quite fair, I always show dark spots from sun damage. I was given an RX for the OBAGI SYSTEM. It has cleanser, exfoliating lotion, SPF cream and 2 "bleaching" creams w/ hydraquinone. One of the bleaching creams is used for day under an spf and the night bleaching cream (about a thumb nail size amt.) is mixed in your hand w/ same amt. of RX strength Retin A and applied to the dark areas. In my case, the derm told me to use it all over face, neck and chest (day regimen & night, too) & be sure to get it on earlobes. This system really works. In 2-3 months, spots were gone. After 3 mos., I continue w/ just my Retin A. I do this for 6-8 wks. every fall when any signs of sun damage show up. 

@Shanus, thank you! I see my derm in May, so I will ask her about this. Thank you, everyone, for all the info!

Honored Contributor

I got 5% Hydroquinone at my dermatologists office. Yes it worked!  I would think the 4% would be almost as good..might just have to use it longer 

Honored Contributor

I tried that once on my hands ... it burned my skin!   I now use Avon's Banishing Cream.  Works fine.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 4% Hydroquinone

[ Edited ]

Off topic maybe.... I saw this in a magazine several months ago.  Use lemon juice to lighten dark spots on the skin.   The short article recommended squeezing a lemon, or buying 100% lemon juice in a bottle.  Dab the juice onto dark spots with a Q-tip every day, twice a day, let it soak in before applying other skin care.  I did it every day for about 3 weeks, then I got forgetful.  It did lighten 2 spots on my jaw.  May not work for everyone....

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt