Respected Contributor

Re: 3 hair care questions

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd  Do you use that oil on dry hair or wet?  Is it a food item or in the personal care section of TJ's?

@cjm61  What "smoothing creme" do you use, please?

@ALRATIBA   I hope you like the one you got from Amazon.  I'll check it out.  

I appreciate all the lower priced suggestions.  The price range is perfect for me.  

A word of thanks to you ALL for the time you took to offer help.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue   The marula oil at Trader Joe's is not in the food section.  Look where they have cosmetics/personal care.  I use it on my dry hair.  I use a very tiny amount...maybe a couple of drops in the palm of my hand then I rub my hands together.  Afterwards, I smooth my hair with my hands making sure I also get the roots and the ends of my hair.  It will make your hair glossy not oily (or you have used too much).  The oil is inexpensive and healthy for your hair....I love it as a tamer for the frizzies and fly aways. 

I used it as an experiment and now I use it regularly after washing and drying my hair.  I did some research afterwards and found out it is really good for your hair.  Hope you try it!

@Another new name Sue wrote:

@phoenixbrd  Do you use that oil on dry hair or wet?  Is it a food item or in the personal care section of TJ's?

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd Definitely will try it, hopefully my store has it.

I have gone back-and-forth between the Revlon and BedHead dryers. I think the BedHead looks better in some ways,  but I like the two barrel sizes and round shape on the Revlon, so I'll probably get that one.

Again, thank you all for the input. It's so nice to have some ideas and inspiration to deal with my hair since I've had some problems for nearly a year.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue 

(see below)

I got the Revlon brush/dryer yesterday, and used it this morning for the first time. 

I must say, I am impressed.

I had been using a round brush and separate dryer and it was generally a juggling match with the two pieces and took a while to finish, and I had to use mousse for volume.  

This morning with the Revlon ....

It took me a few minutes to get use to just the one piece - but once I got into the "rhythm" - it went quickly and I'm very happy with the results.  Lots more volume and smoother finish ... and I didn't use any product.  Just a bit of hairspray when done.

-----------------------------------------------------

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Another new name Sue 

I just ordered something similar to the Calista.  From Amazon .... I expect to receive it on Tuesday.

It's a Revlon Perfect Style Hot Air Kit / style, curl, volumize.  Only about $20.

The product description includes:  "ONIC TECHNOLOGY: Gives you the power to create a salon-styled finish. Less frizz, for shiny, healthy-looking hair."

I use a brush and blow dryer at the moment - and use a Tresemme mousse for volume.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Another new name Sue   I do have the Revlon Blow Dry Brush, but rarely use to straighten my hair. I try to go easy with heat.

The frizzies may come from too much heat , too frequent washings  or having silicone and alcohol in you S&C and styling products. 

The silicones coat the hair and don't let any moisture in, but over time, your hair also dries out because of that...FRIZZ.

Check out JVN dot com. (also at Sephora)...All natural, no alcohol, silicones or parabens. I changed to all their  shampoos, conditioners, deep conditioners, serum and styling products. It's priced between drugstore and salon. On the site, there are videos on each product to explain use and expected results.

When I tried the entire line about a month ago (have to clarify first with a sulfate shampoo to get rid of styling products, etc.), my hair has been smoothe, shiny and hasn't frizzed outside in the heat and humidity. NOT YOUR MOTHERS products (at the drugstore) are also silicone /alcohol free .

@Shanus I just started using JVN shampoo and conditioner and so far I am really liking it.  I also purchased the deep conditioner but have not used it yet.  I also got a sample of the air dry cream but I usually blow out my air on the day I wash it. 

What other products have you been using and how do you like them?  I am especially interested if you tried the leave in conditioner.

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife   I use the entire system. I do have the deep conditioner that  use weekly instead of my regular conditioner.I use the Nutring S&C and alternate w/ the the Embody set (volumizing). I also have the serum in the jar and the lg. tube of the air dry cream, although I DO difffuse my hair if need to get out in a rush. The drops are great to add shine. Lastly, the new mist...very moisturizing on dry hair and especially great on second day hair.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus Thanks.  How do you use the new mist on your second day hair?  Do you just sprtiz to freshen?

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife   Yes, I use the mist to freshen my second day hair...on dry hair. Note: My hair is wavy/curly, so after I mist, I scrunch back in the curls.

All info about JVN products, along w/ videos on each product are on the site, if you need help.