Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 36,221
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Re: 3 NEW PRODUCTS AND BREAKING OUT...advice?

[ Edited ]

Most likely it's the sunscreen. Chemical sunscreens are oil-based products and that can cause issues with pores...clogging. Oil-based products are somewhat occlusive as well meaning it can trap bacteria onto the skin and when you sweat that provides moisture for bacterial proliferation. People with oily skin should stay away from chemical SPF.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,077
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: 3 NEW PRODUCTS AND BREAKING OUT...advice?

Two products have niacinamide in them...the Naturium spf, and PTR pads.  I'm only mentioning niacinamide because,  I tried Glow recipe watermelon a while back,  I broke out...it also has niacinamide.  That was the 1st product I've used with niacinamide.   I have stopped using it.   So now I'm wondering...is it niacinamide. Thank you all...im going to stop all three regardless...niacinamide.   would be too bad if it's the Naturium spf...I liked it ....ugh...never ending spf for face.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,077
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: 3 NEW PRODUCTS AND BREAKING OUT...advice?


@SilleeMee wrote:

Most likely it's the sunscreen. Chemical sunscreens are oil-based products and that can cause issues with pores...clogging. Oil-based products are somewhat occlusive as well meaning it can trap bacteria onto the skin and when you sweat that provides moisture for bacterial proliferation. People with oily skin should stay away from chemical SPF.


@SilleeMee ...I threw the box out for Naturium spf...all I see is glycerin and squalene from the website.   I know it has niacinamide and hyaluronic, some other ingredients I see on Amazon.  Not sure about oil based...im so aggravated...now I have scars on my face.  I'm want to totally stop sunscreen on my face.   What to do...I had skin cancer!!     Even the Skin Aqua which I like very much,  my pores got black. I didn't break though, pores just got black I had to press out.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 36,221
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Re: 3 NEW PRODUCTS AND BREAKING OUT...advice?

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Most likely it's the sunscreen. Chemical sunscreens are oil-based products and that can cause issues with pores...clogging. Oil-based products are somewhat occlusive as well meaning it can trap bacteria onto the skin and when you sweat that provides moisture for bacterial proliferation. People with oily skin should stay away from chemical SPF.


@SilleeMee ...I threw the box out for Naturium spf...all I see is glycerin and squalene from the website.   I know it has niacinamide and hyaluronic, some other ingredients I see on Amazon.  Not sure about oil based...im so aggravated...now I have scars on my face.  I'm want to totally stop sunscreen on my face.   What to do...I had skin cancer!!     Even the Skin Aqua which I like very much,  my pores got black. I didn't break though, pores just got black I had to press out.


 

 

@Dazlin 

It might be your cleanser where that might not be removing all of the problematic ingredients and they sit in your pores. Have you tried a BHA toner? This one is excellent:

 

THAYERS - Witch Hazel Blemish Toner, 12 OZ

 

You don't have to use that everyday but just occasionally especially if it gets too drying. Salicylic acid is best for pore cleansing.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 22,353
Registered: ‎10-03-2011

Re: 3 NEW PRODUCTS AND BREAKING OUT...advice?

@Dazlin  Here's the ingredients list for the Naturium Dew-Glow Moisturizer w/SPF 50

 

IMG_2197.jpeg

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,295
Registered: ‎07-18-2010

Re: 3 NEW PRODUCTS AND BREAKING OUT...advice?


@Icegoddess wrote:

Olay skincare products break me out and I have no idea why.

 

Recently, I started having an itching problem around the perimeter of my face.  I tried eliminating anything new that I had been using and, though the itching got less, it didn't completely go away.  I slowly started adding things back in and the itching didn't get worse and did eventually go away.  Have no idea what was causing my itching.


@Icegoddess Maybe a hair product?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,256
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

Re: 3 NEW PRODUCTS AND BREAKING OUT...advice?


@LuvSoCal wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Olay skincare products break me out and I have no idea why.

 

Recently, I started having an itching problem around the perimeter of my face.  I tried eliminating anything new that I had been using and, though the itching got less, it didn't completely go away.  I slowly started adding things back in and the itching didn't get worse and did eventually go away.  Have no idea what was causing my itching.


@Icegoddess Maybe a hair product?


@LuvSoCal If that's the case, you would think it would still be itching since I haven't eliminated any hair products from my routine.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,409
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

Re: 3 NEW PRODUCTS AND BREAKING OUT...advice?

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin   If new products are giving you trouble, discontinue them and go to a simple cleanser like Cetaphil or CeraVe. I'd stay with just that and "baby SPF" which is made to be less irritating. Stay with only that until all clears up. Then add one of the products at a time and if skin acts up...that's the one!!!

 

IMO, this is the only method to see which product is the culprit. You can also see if two skincare products just don't work together. Sometimes the combination of acids, SPF, etc. just don't combine.

 

You don't have to be reacting to new products. Sometimes a skincare product you've used for years starts irritating or causing reactions to your complexion.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,146
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: 3 NEW PRODUCTS AND BREAKING OUT...advice?

I break out from both chemical sunscreens and niacinamide.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,077
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: 3 NEW PRODUCTS AND BREAKING OUT...advice?

Thank you!!  I have PC BHA toner, I also use Nassiff detox pads.  I use a glycolic cleanser every night.

That usually keeps me clear.