Trusted Contributor

Re: $3.95 to me $6.95 to Return I'm Stopping Shopping...

No I do not feel the same. I know when I make the purchase what the shipping is and I calculate that into the cost. I rarely return (only 1 item last year out of over 200 purchases). I never buy without reviews. I read through them thoroughly as well as check garment measurements, if it's apparel. I normally only purchase on Free Shipping days but if the price is right, I will pay the 3.95. That is more than half what it would actually cost us to ship an item.

The main reason I don't feel the same is because other online retailers, as well as stores, all require an item to be in like new and in original packaging. QVC lets you use an item to try it. If it doesn't work, you can return. It is worth it for me to pay a few dollars more if I can try an item then return used if it doesn't work. Like I said, I do not abuse this but knowing I have the option encourages more purchases from HSN and QVC instead of retailers that require returns to be new. 

Esteemed Contributor

Don't shop on HSN then! Their return shipping was outrageous. They did not give me the credit automatically when they receive the item back either. I had to call customer service, who was on the route side, to get my return processed...minus a hefty return shipping fee. From that time on, I never put their channel on again.

Honored Contributor

@Solar Is My Name wrote:

Almost $11.00 for the privilege to try-on an item is no longer worth it to me.

SO many other sites give their cutomers free returns and other perks.

Do you feel the same way as I do?

-Solar Smiley Surprised

@Solar Is My Name No.  I don't.  People get upset abut this or that or free shipping but the only issue really is the price you pay for the item in total.  If you pay $75 for something and get "free shipping" it is the same thing as paying $60 for the item and $15 for shipping.  

As for the cost of returns, are you likely to make a return?  Do you NEED the item? Will you USE the item? What is it's real value to you?  Can you afford it?  How does this fit in with what you can afford to begin with--does it fit your budget.

All more important issues than $10 you might or might not spend to return it.  Which is what, a McDonald's order? 

Respected Contributor

I shop a lot online for a variety of items. For those retailers that provide me with free shipping I either have to meet a minimum purchase amount on that transaction,  or throughout the year spent "X" amount of dollars, or have paid for a membership. 

I don't find QVC's shipping or return fees to be outrageous. I usually save items in my Wishlist and wait for a free shipping day. Items are wants, not needs, not necessities. 

I too look at the bottom line total of the cost of an item and determine if it's worth it to me. Shipping (and practically never return fees) are a price I am willing to pay to have items delivered to my door. 

Super Contributor

@Solar Is My Name 

Hi.  Yes,, I'm starting to feel the same way.  Mostly because lately the clothing has been way off in the way it fits.  Way way off, and it's not my body changing!  

I order things CAREFULLY because I want them.  But lately, the manufacturer does something wrong.  For instance, I ordered Regular inseam pants, and they came with 33" inseam.  That is wrong.  I had to pay tailor $20 to hem them, or else $6.95 to return them.  It's not defective, the clothing is just wrong sometimes

My New Year resolution is to stop shopping on QVC until they get their act together, or just stop altogether

Respected Contributor

@Helen Bach wrote:

@Solar Is My Name 

Hi.  Yes,, I'm starting to feel the same way.  Mostly because lately the clothing has been way off in the way it fits.  Way way off, and it's not my body changing!  

I order things CAREFULLY because I want them.  But lately, the manufacturer does something wrong.  For instance, I ordered Regular inseam pants, and they came with 33" inseam.  That is wrong.  I had to pay tailor $20 to hem them, or else $6.95 to return them.  It's not defective, the clothing is just wrong sometimes

My New Year resolution is to stop shopping on QVC until they get their act together, or just stop altogether

@Helen Bach If the inseam is stated to be one length, and what you receive is NOT that length, then the item IS defective, and your shipping should be refunded. 

Trusted Contributor

@justashopper Good for you! Continued success to you!

-Solar Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Yes I agree so that is why I seldom buy anything unless I am fairly certain I will keep it or if it has free shipping to begin with.  I learned my lesson with shoes.  I mainly only buy cosmetics from Q anymore and they are often repeat items so I know I will like them.  I tend to buy most of my clothing from Marshall's and TJMaxx.  I am retired and don't need many clothes nor do I need to overspend. I am amazed at some of the prices...

Esteemed Contributor

Yes I agree. 

If I really can't stand it, I'd rather donate it than pay that return shipping.  And qvc will probably reselll it to someone else.

Trusted Contributor

@Mary Bailey yes.I've done that too!