Trusted Contributor
I’m using Clairol root touch up (semi permanent ) says last 3 wks. Says it doesn’t have a developer as a permanent would. It also says without a developer if I leave it in longer than the recommended 10 minutes it keeps darkening my hair. Please clarify if I’m misunderstanding.
I’m using medium brown 5 color. I have very little gray. I apply to roots and then comb in remaining to rest of head.
I’m thinking of continuing after the quarantine.
Why pay more?
Esteemed Contributor

Clairol Root Touch Up is what I recently used as well. First time I used the gel version w/a brush on the end of the applicator. That barely did anything. Second time I used the 2 part type in their Natural Instincts version, a number 5A medium cool brown. That did a much better job but I did leave it on for 15 min instead of 10. Have shampooed twice and it is holding so far. 

Unlike you my hair would be all grey if I didn't have it colored. I had a good inch of grey roots but did not pull it through the rest of my hair since the permanent color used at my last salon visit in late Feb is still holding.

Trusted Contributor

Re: 2nd time doing my roots

[ Edited ]

My first time was April 12 so it’s been a month I didn’t need to do it badly I could have waited but I find it easier if there isnt much to cover I split the box between both applications. The brush makes it easy

Esteemed Contributor

Springers, I'm using the same product in light brown; happy with product. I may extend future color / cut appointments  two weeks longer since I found this product.  I will use last half of application in a week.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I used Madison Reed on my roots for the first time today. I love it!!!!! Ok, I missed a few stray grays but the color was not too far off what I had done at the salon abut 9 weeks ago and I can't wait for the salon to open. My roots were over an inch of gray. My hair looks and feels great and it wasn't that hard considering it was the first time I've done it myself.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown