Esteemed Contributor

Re: 26 with Acne Scars- HELP!

I agree with those who recommended you see a dermatologist who specializes in laser treatments.Plastic surgeons use lasers too. 

Respected Contributor

Before you start a DIY fix that may do more harm than good, head to a Dermatologist for advice. I'm advising this because I did some pretty dumb things trying to get rid of pimples & blackheads....at 68 my skin still isn't perfect, I struggle with redness. A Dermatologist can tell you want products to use, what NOT to do & diagnosis what condition you actually have...some people think they have acne but it's rosacea or something else. I know skin problems can be soul crushing, I wish you the all the best!

Respected Contributor

@brookularrr wrote:

i have retinA and it doesn't seem to do much. :/

As per the maufacterer RA takes 3 months to show any results; I realize that can be frustrating, but I'm on it as well.

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I agree with those who recommended you see a dermatologist who specializes in laser treatments.Plastic surgeons use lasers too. 

Having gone that route lasers are very expensive. I'd also recommend seeing a derm and have a consultation to go over topical options, then more invasive options if necessary.

You are not your acne. You are a sweet, beautiful woman-someone's daughter, sister, wife or mother. Be kind to yourself.

Honored Contributor

I always look from within via diet, food, drink, supplements, meds.

@brookularrr What’s a typical day’s diet look like?

Honored Contributor

@brookularrr

If you are on Accutane be careful with anything to drying, I did two courses of Accutane when it fist come out. My skin, lips and other parts were so unbelievably dry, not even Vaseline helped.

@brookularrr wrote:

It's an IUD birth control. I've spoken with a dermatologist and had been put on acutane, which helped, significantly. I've used microdermabrasion professionally in the spa before and at home and I noticed a difference in the feel of my skin. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Occasional Contributor

I'm not on it anymore, it worked out great for me while I was on my birth control, but since I narrowed my acne problem down to the IUD, I had that removed. Now I, just suffering from scarring.

Occasional Contributor

I eat very, very clean. High protein low carb. In the gym 5 days a week. Rarely touch fast food or sugar. I'm not really breaking out or having pimples or acne for that matter, just the scarring and redness

Honored Contributor

@brookularrr wrote:

I eat very, very clean. High protein low carb. In the gym 5 days a week. Rarely touch fast food or sugar. I'm not really breaking out or having pimples or acne for that matter, just the scarring and redness

@brookularrr

I advocate a low fat whole foods plant based diet.

Fat %...10-20% of total calories.

There’s a mountain of studies & research on almost every

illness/condition being helped by a plant-based diet,

but ‘better skin’ isn’t one of them.  What studies -do- show,

diets being higher in Animal/Plant protein are most likely

higher in fat which will slows down the circulation.  

A diet low in fat, but higher in whole Plant Based carbohydrates,

especially leafy greens, will increase the nitric oxide,

which increases blood circulation....which helps

heal the skin from the inside out.  

I know this is a tall order to radically change a diet,

but I truly believe Health begins on the inside...and skin is

a direct reflection of what’s happening on the inside. 

Many will just want a pill/medication to make it all go away,

but at what cost?  

Many people, of all ages, who adopt this way of eating 

are most likely doing it for health/medical reasons, but they

always report ‘better/prettier skin’ as a lovely side effect. 

Trusted Contributor

@brookularrrI'm sorry you feel so bad. I see redness but not bad scarring at all...and the photo is close-up.

Please see a good dermatologist - one that specializes in esthetics rather then let's say MOHS (skin cancer treatments) you want one that specializes in helping you look your best Smiley Happy.

Good luck.

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky