Honored Contributor

25th anniversary MAC Viva Glam model is Winnie Harlow

I'm so happy that Winnie has been chosen as their 25th Viva Glam model. 

For those who don't know Winnie:   Here's the thing:  She has vitiligo.  Very bad vitiligo.  And on her Instagram account she was sick of a lifetime of bullying and owned it.  Because she had a lot of followers Tyra Banks invited her to be on ANTM and then as Tyra was prone to doing she treated her badly and cut her early.  Tyra gets zero credit for Winnie's meteoric rise to international supermodel.

Winnie gets all the credit for her own success.  She created it.  She had the courage to go on Instagram and show herself.

She's done all the major fashion magazine covers. She's walked the finest runways.  She was in Beyonce's music film Lemonade.  She's rocked the Met Gala.  She broke ground as a Victoria's Secret Angel.  

By being herself she has changed the world of beauty and fashion forever.  And sends a great message about beauty and empowerment to girls everywhere.

And now another milestone -- MAC Viva Glam's 25th anniversary model.  I'm so happy for her.

Image result for winnie harlow lofficiel cover

Image result for winnie harlow vitiligo

Honored Contributor

Re: 25th anniversary MAC Viva Glam model is Winnie Harlow

And they've brought back the original shade in a collectible tube. 

In 25 years the Viva Glam campaign has raised over $480 million for men, women and children with HIV and AIDS and 100% of the funds are donated.

Related image

Esteemed Contributor

I admire Winnie Harlow, but for the 25th anniversary I truly feel M.A.C. should have used the original Viva Glam, model Rupaul, in the ad campaign.  

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

I admire Winnie Harlow, but for the 25th anniversary I truly feel M.A.C. should have used the original Viva Glam, model Rupaul, in the ad campaign.  

Seems to be a big nod to RuPaul....here’s Winnie

recreating Ru’s ‘I Am’ ad:

Original with RuPaul:

0CC8F8B6-C87B-4E38-AF9B-6004BF74F30B.jpeg

Winnie Harlow:

EB65868C-6BA6-4DB9-8F73-08AE9380705D.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom   Exactly, it's an homage to RuPaul.

@Trix  Twenty-five years on I doubt RuPaul has the body to pull it off and who knows if he even wants to do it.  Or maybe he did and they chose another direction.  He hasn't congratulated Winnie or commented on any of it, being the first, how much money they've raised -- that seems odd to me.

Don't get me wrong, I admire him.  This man, when he's not taping his show (which I enjoyed the first few seasons but stopped watching because it seemed repetitive), when he's not taping he lives with his husband on his husband's farm in Wyoming.  They've been together around 25 years.

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori  @sidsmom Thanks LoriLori for posting the ad pics. I had not seen the Winnie Harlow ad as I am so over women's magazine's.  If I am enticed to read a particular article I do so online and therefore don't see all of the ads featured in the issue. 

It's possible M.A.C.'s ad agency may have entertained the idea of using RuPaul, he had no interest.  Whatever the reason it's good to see that the original ad was used as inspiration for the anniversary.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know her face is for real but not sure if her body has been touched up.  Her body looks very dramatic for the camera to me.   It seems that the dots are too perfect and positioned.  I may be wrong but that is how it looks to me.   I have to say good for her becoming a model and much success in the future.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Trix  I don't have interest in the magazines to read them, but I love looking at the covers.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I know her face is for real but not sure if her body has been touched up.  Her body looks very dramatic for the camera to me.   It seems that the dots are too perfect and positioned.  I may be wrong but that is how it looks to me.   I have to say good for her becoming a model and much success in the future.  

The Victoria's Secret still and the Viva Glam ad match perfectly.

The Italian fashion magazine, I think the cover is making a point deliberately, a very high fashion point:  What is real?  What is makeup?  Does it matter?  I think it's a gorgeous cover.   You're right in that anyone who only saw that cover could think that's her body -- although it looks deliberately unreal -- but I would bet on the inside spread they show her body as is.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1  also she's already a supermodel.  Tippy top.  Done all the important covers, Victoria's Secret Angel, featured in Beyonce's music film Lemonade, dating a high-profile rapper, stunned at the Met Galas.  I too wish her more success in the future but there's not much she hasn't done, so I say keep going, Winnie! 

And it all started with an Instagram account because she was teased mercilessly in school, called among other things a cow, and she decided to own her skin.  She's a great role model.