Honored Contributor

Re: “2024”, Everyone, Please Join Us!

[ Edited ]

@MariotaMurielle wrote:

@JudyL wrote:

Ok ladies quite a few of you cook way more than I do.  I had to buy a jar of Pepperocinis (sp?) to use a few in my pot roast.  Now what do I do with the rest of them?  I've never bought them before so not sure how to use them.  Any suggestions?

I like them in a salad. I cut them into rings and sprinkle sparsely.

what else did you change for your pot roast? if you used butter too, it sounds close to what we call Mississippi Pot Roast.

D580D76A-8F42-4A08-B84A-7F4381188785.png

@MariotaMurielle  - That's the recipe I used except I used beef broth in place of the Pepperocini juice from the bottle.  Adjusted a few things as my pot roast wasn't quite 2.5 pounds.

Esteemed Contributor

@JudyL, that was so funny about you removing all the light switchplates from the house with your Phillip's head screwdriver. I'll bet you thought you were something!

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MariotaMurielle 

I really liked Ruth Wilson also and have not seen the one you mentioned! I will look that one up!

Two for recommendations if anybody is interested:

The Night Agent (Netflix)

Lincoln Lawyer...I have not started this one yet, but DD & DSIL are watching and like it.

From book club: "The Institution" by Steven King

The party Saturday was lots of fun! The snow really started coming down!

IMG_4415.jpegIMG_4414.jpegIMG_4412.jpeg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@JudyL 

I grew up in Michigan = snow (but I was too young to drive lol)

Bedford IN, Kokomo IN, Indianapolis IN , Bloomington IN = snow and driving

Texas...no snow for 39 years!

Pittsburgh PA now...= snow + relearning to drive in it!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@JudyL

Saw this recipe on WAPO recipe finder:

Couscous Salad With Smoked Trout & Pepperoncini

INGREDIENTS

Servings: 4-6 (makes about 6 cups)

• 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more as needed
  • 1 1/2 cups couscous (see NOTES)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine sea or table salt, plus more as needed
  • 1 cup pepperoncini (about 5 ounces), stemmed and sliced into thin rings, plus 3 tablespoons brine
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely grated or minced
  • 8 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley or cilantro leaves
  • 3 scallions, thinly sliced
  • Black pepper
  • 8 ounces smoked salmon or trout or mackerel, skin and pin bones removed or a can of salmon or tuna
  • Lemon or lime wedges, for serving

DIRECTIONS

• In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of oil until shimmering. Add the couscous and cook, stirring frequently, until the grains begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the water and salt; stir briefly to combine, cover, bring the water to a boil, then remove the pan from the heat. Let sit until the liquid is absorbed and the couscous is tender, about 7 minutes. Uncover and fluff the couscous with a fork.

•  

While the couscous cools, in a large serving bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/3 cup of oil, pepperoncini brine and garlic until combined. Transfer the couscous to the bowl with the dressing and toss to combine. Refrigerate the dressed couscous to cool it for about 10 minutes.

•  

Add the tomatoes, parsley or cilantro, if using, scallions and pepperoncini to the couscous and toss gently to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and drizzle with extra oil, if needed.

•  

On a small plate, flake the fish into bite-size pieces.

•  

Top the salad with the smoked fish and serve family-style, or divide the couscous among individual plates and top with the fish. Sprinkle with more parsley or cilantro, if using. Serve with lemon wedges.

•  

NOTES: You may use fish packed in oil or water. You may remove the skin or not. Some smoked trout and mackerel may come with pin bones, so check before flaking it into pieces. 

•  

Do not substitute pearl, or Israeli, couscous, because it requires a different cooking method.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Bright sunshine today. Looks like the clean up crew is focusing on the parking lots first over the pathways. It's below freezing outside. As soon as I get dressed will head out to the further away supermarket. 

Have a great Monday.

Honored Contributor

@MariotaMurielle  - I thought I was such hot stuff using that Phillips screwdriver and removing all the light switchplates.  Can't imagine what my mother said to my father afterwards.  LOLOL

@JustJazzmom  - thank you for the recipe.  Sounds good so may give it a try.

It is so cold - for us - here that I don't feel like getting out of my pjs and robe.  Not sure what's on the agenda for today but guess I should get myself moving.

Honored Contributor

hello all

i got sick again overnight, had to see doctor this morn.

peeing blood now. put on stronger antibotics, for 10 days, did blood work trying to set up a ultrasound of kidneys for infections. 

not much else. 

calm before storm tuesday-wed round 2   friday-saturday round 3 ultra heavy rain,under flood warnings now. ok guys later.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hope the scan finds the problem @viva923

Store wasn't  too crazy. I feel better having replenished some things. 

I saw the sea scallops -- store wanted $26.99/ Lb.!

Held off on that seeing that I would have frozen them for future use. 

Store didn't have the multi vitamins I use so Amazon to the rescue. I also ordered a different light blue tablecloth for my kitchen table. I used the refund amount of the previous cloth I bought towards this purchase.  I also ordered an OXO measuring cup for rice that can be stored in their Pop containers attached to the lid. I bought previoysly 3 1.7 Qt. containers to hold my 3 Carolina rices -- extra long grain, basmati & jasmine. They are perfect for holding the 2 Lb. packages of rice. I found that the Carolina foil containers ripped over time through use. The clear containers allow me to eyeball when I need more. 

Had myself a large salad for lunch & treated myself to French toast again for breakfast. That Sara Lee Artesano Maple & Brown Sugar bread is thick enough for 2 slices of my serving. This morning I added cinnamon & nutmeg. Maybe next time will do just cinnamon. 

Still expecting heavy rain moving in Tuesday night into Wednesday. Glad that my shopping is completed. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think we're getting the storms tonight that the northeast will be getting tomorrow, minus the snow.. we've had thunder & lightning, wind gusts and very heavy rain since late afternoon, and now we're under a tornado watch. our front porch ghost has been howling all evening.

we didn't feel like cooking tonight, so we just made grilled cheese sandwiches with french bread and our Mississippi State cheddar cheese. I'm making pot roast tomorrow evening.

our Ring alarm just alerted us to someone coming to the front door. when DH opened the door some poor guy with a food delivery was completely drenched coming from the driveway to the front porch, only to be told he was at the wrong address. what a night to be delivering food.

hope everyone is safe and warm.

here's a north Mississippi flood water sunset.

have a peaceful evening, y'all.

80A77395-83AE-4C80-B015-1BA68D598D98_1_201_a.jpeg

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich