Honored Contributor

Re: “2024”, Everyone, Please Join Us!

Oh @MariotaMurielle please do tell what suggestions you've received for books to read.  I've been having a hard time find another author I like.  Think reaidng LP books spoiled me.  I also follow an LP group on Facebook, actually think it's LP herself and not a group.  Which group do you follow?

So far this morning think I'm feeling better/stronger.  Going to at least get my Santas put away today and I need to run an errand to Walgreens.  That may be it for my day.  Will see how I feel.  

Have pork chops and potatoes for dinner tonight, I'm hoping I feel up to eating them.  Stomach is still feeling a bit iffy.  I'm not one for collard greens or black eyed peas so will substitute another green veggie in place of the collard greens or maybe a green salad.  Don't blame @MariotaMurielle DH for not being much of a fan of cabbage.  I'll eat it on occasion but usually just in the summer and as coleslaw - definitely not sauerkraut though. LOL

Wishing everyone a nice, peaceful, happy first day of the year.

Esteemed Contributor

@JudyL, the group I follow is called the Louise Penny Book Club. I've bought the 1st three books of a series by 2 different authors suggested by the group. they are tucked away to start when I finish the Gamache series. I buy them on eBay for 4 or 5 dollars. that way I can get a good feel for the writing style without spending a lot of money.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

@MariotaMurielle wrote:

@JudyL, the group I follow is called the Louise Penny Book Club. I've bought the 1st three books of a series by 2 different authors suggested by the group. they are tucked away to start when I finish the Gamache series. I buy them on eBay for 4 or 5 dollars. that way I can get a good feel for the writing style without spending a lot of money.

@MariotaMurielle  - would you mind telling me the authors as I would like to check the books out.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

hello all

not much today

cloudy once again, calling for a major storm for us on sunday, wait and see what developes.

did get normal monday chores done and got walk in. 

dh went to grocery store to pick up a few fixings for tonights dinner, a new recipe was found going to see if it is a keeper or a toss it out.

not much else. later guys.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JudyL, here's what I bought. these authors were recommended as having a similar writing style as LP, and are all mysteries.

by Gail Bowen:

A Colder Kind Of Death. a Joanne Kilbourn mystery

Murder at the Mendel. a Joanne Kilbourn mystery

Deadly Appearances. a Joanne Kilbourn mystery

and by G.M. Malliet, the St. Just Mystery series

Death of a Cozy Writer

Death And The Lit Chick

Death At The Alma Mater

edited to add: one of my very favorite series that I read before I found Louise Penny is by Elly Griffith. it's the Ruth Galloway series, involving a forensic archaeologist in England. I recommend reading them in order. I think there are about 19 or so in the series and you can Google the order.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

@MariotaMurielle  - YEA!  Thank you!  So many to look forward to.  Will see what my library has first.  

Esteemed Contributor

it doesn't take much to make me smile. look what I accidentally found online today...a glass measuring cup for left handers! if you're not left handed, you probably won't really appreciate the significance of this. I realize this is not an earth shattering issue, but all my life measuring cups have been backward for me. I had no idea there were left handed cups. at this point in my life I guess it would be silly to buy one, but it just tickled me to know they exist Smiley Happy

8294E0A8-1944-4508-9069-304F1FEAA3E5.png

our New Years day supper was delicious. I foresee a big ham sandwich in the very near future. like lunch tomorrow.

sending blessings to all.

here's a Gulfport sunset.

have a peaceful evening, y'all.

EF28037B-796C-4DE2-A544-E5E587301B29.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@MariotaMurielle  - I say buy the left-handed measuring cup!  Why not?  If it'll make your life when cooking more enjoyable/easier, then go for it.  I am not left-handed but had a friend who was and I remember her lamenting how things were backwards for her.  You should have seen her trying to teach me - I'm right-handed - how to crochet!  That was funny!

Respected Contributor

Good Morning & Happy New Year!--Our New Year's Eve was low key, just the two of us & I steamed some crab legs, they were ymmy!  Yesterday our friends came over and we had a nice visit.  We watched the Michigan/Alabama game, while we had appietizers and then when it was time for dinner the guys wanted to continue to have the game on, I didn't care and since you can see our TV from our dining area, we have a great room/kitchen/dining area all open, so it wasn't a problem.  Our friends are Michigan fans and DH & I didn't favor any team, it was a good game.  When it was time for dessert, the guys wanted to continue to watch the game but my friend wanted to sit out by my firepit, we the girls did the firepit and the guys watched the game.  I made a cookies and creme cake for dessert, it was just a white cake mix with crusted oreo cookies, so easy but so good.  I made a chocolate glaze instead of icing, it was good too. 

DH went golfing and I'm just relaxing today.  I think we'll be taking the decorations down sometime in the next few days, DH does most of that!  

Respected Contributor

SISD--It's nice that the New Year's celebrations don't bother Max, fireworks and such never bothered our dog.  Thank you so much for always starting a new thread for the New Year.  I'm going to try to post more often!!

MM--So happy to hear that you found the right pot rack to install above your beautiful island, and getting it at a good price!  Win/Win!!!!  I wish I could be as tough as nails and take the bull by the horns like your great grandmother!