Honored Contributor

Re: “2021”~60’s Ladies and Everyone, Please Join Us!

hey all

SLEEP i am not to sure about if you can use the breadmachine yeast in place of what you would normally use with a box bread. we do the scratch stuff bread.

not much here, nothing new to report. same ol'same ol'.

got up, cleaned baths, got dh off to work at 5am. did my clean chores, got walk in. not much else so far. later guys

Honored Contributor

Good afternoon! I did a grocery run on needed items, bank visit to ATM (drive through one was out of order for some reason.) I finally made a visit to Staples & bought another plastic 8" X 5" index card box for my recipes. I like to prop them up on the counter rather than use my IPad. I divided the recipes from Appetizers to Pork in the first box & Poultry to Vegetables in the new box. Staples didn't have the proper sized adhesive sticker letters to label the box. I saw mostly 3 dimensional letters. Might try Michael's for their stock. I'll visit one tomorrow.

Again the supermarket was out of another spice -- bay leaves! Fortunately Spice Island brand had them! 

I needed fresher ones for tonight's recipe -- a halved Silver Palate chicken marbella recipe. I may decrease the brown sugar too as it looks to be a lot-- 1/2 Cup for a halved recipe. I decreased it to 1/4 Cup. 

It smells really good right now in the kitchen! 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Good Morning! I'm waiting for the guy to come to "weed out" the wooded area behind our house again, he's a really nice guy but says he's coming, then he as a problem and can't come.  Luckily it's not urgent what needs done.  The sun is out but it's cold, it will warm up this afternoon.  I'm playing pickleball.  DH took me the the golf range yesterday to hit some balls.  Golfing is hard!  I had the most fun riding in the golf cart!  I've got to call over to another place to get some golf lessons.  DH went golfing this morning, he's definitely hooked on the game!  I hope that everyone has a great day!

Respected Contributor

SISD--I hope you were able to get an appointment to get your vaccine.  My former neighbor, who moved to San Diego and is 68 years old has gotten her first vaccine shot.  The rollout here is confusing, to say the least.  At first it was 75 and older, which I thought was good, get those people in first and front line workers and people in rest homes, then they decided to add over 65 at the same time.  There's limited vaccine and you have to make an appointment, so that means more people jamming up things trying to get the vaccine.  I remember when the new 2 shot shingle shot came out, it was so hard to get it.  I didn't even try to get it then, since I had the original 1 shot shingle shot at 60 I thought, I could wait until it came more easily available.  That took 2 years!  We got our 2 shot shingle shots last year when the availability to get it came up.  I had friends who went to different states to get it.  After that I didn't think this vaccine would have an easy rollout since everyone needs to get it.  I'm hoping to get it by June/July.  Fingers crossed!  

Respected Contributor

MM--So happy to hear that your biopsy was negative!  I've never been on steriods, so I don't know the side effects of them.  

Katte--Good to hear from you.  Sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well.  Yes, we go out to dinner at least once a week.  The restaurants aren't crowded, so we feel OK going.  Last year we were planning a trip to the Flordia and to the Keys for this February, needless to say we aren't going.  Our anniversary is at the end of May and we are going to plan a trip to Savannah, Georgia, we can drive there and I'm going to cross my fingers we get the vaccine by then.  The vaccine is available here but the supply is limited and it's hard to get an appointment since they only will give out appointments as more vaccine comes in and you either have to do it on-line throught MyChart or call and from what I've heard, trying to get through is really difficult.  Some poor women was on hold for 6 hours and then they cut her off.  She looked to be in her late 80's and she was very upset.  They really need to do a better job of getting it out without upsetting people.  

Respected Contributor

SISD--Correction to my post to you about my friend, who got her covid vaccine shot.  She was not in San Diego at the time she got the shot.  My neighbor told me that she is in Vail for the winter and she was talking a walk with her 3 friends and when they walked by a hospital, just decided to walk in and ask if they could get the vaccine.  They were told "yes" they had a vial that a some doeses left in it and if they didn't use those doses they would have to throw them away, so they gave them their shots!  I had heard that they were actually throwing out the vaccine but I thought it was just gossip.  I know it needs to be kept at a certain temperature but I don't know how long and maybe it only has certain shelf life.  Maybe your son, since he's a doctor, would know more about it.

I also heard some distressing news.  Our community has had the first deaths from covid last Saturday, a woman, around 65 and a man around 70, no underlying health issues known.  There's over 4,000 people in our community and most are 50 & up, though we're not defined as a retirement community,  most are.  My neighbor knew both of these people and he's very distressed over it, which I understand.  Until now we haven't known anyone personally that has died from covid and we're so close to getting the vaccine, it's very sad.  My neighor also told me that NC has been given 1 million of the doses of the vaccine but has only given out 30% so far, not good.  They really need to do a better job.  

Honored Contributor

hello all

Hayfield, many states have just dropped the ball with these covid shots. they are running around like chickens with its head chopped off, what do we do,what do we do type thought.

my state is not much better, they have been holding so many clinics for 1st responders/hospital people/police and so forth it is almost like the other people in the state are forgotten. delaware has held weeks and weeks 3-4 days per week 9-5pm giving out shots and weeks of drive up shots (wait is about 3 hours) to get your shot all for certain people, I CAN NOT believe all these people that are being vaccinated are all top of line cream of the crop people. somehow something is just not adding up in my estimation.

not much else. guys, have clothes to fold.

Honored Contributor

Good afternoon! We have sunshine here & I will visit another supermarket for the items that weren't in stock at my usual store. I'll also head to Michael's to see if they have flat adhesive letters I can use for my recipe box.  I ordered more index cards from Amazon as most stores don't carry the 5" X 8" sized ones.

Vaccine roll out here has been uneven here. The state accidentally early released another vaccine site url to book appointments and they ended up having to cancel those appointments because of non availability of vaccine. Jones Beach is a new vaccine site & appointments are booked through mid April! I & DH are not in the first group of those eligible. 

I now know 3 people that got Covid & survived. I wanted our contractor who is 80 to come by to cut to size a rubber ramp that will abut a bathroom saddle but he told me he was dealing with some stuff. He called me yesterday & told me he had contracted Covid from his son in law over the Thanksgiving weekend. He sat next to him at dinner & they watched a football game together. He did have to be hospitalized with some kidney issues & the doctors said he had a spot on his lungs, indicative of Covid.

He told me he had 5 negative nasal swab tests, but an antibody blood test showed he had it. He mentioned that he suspected he had it because he asked his wife, what did you do to the coffee?

In another 2 weeks he will be here to cut that ramp. 

The town next to us had over 170 cases confirmed from this past weekend & our town had 32. 

It's supposed to be nice the next few days here, no precipitation of any kind coming.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

DH is hunting today and it was errand day for me. even though I'm a homebody I have to admit it was nice to get out of the house for a few hours. DH and I have been talking (for years) about downsizing from a king size bed to a queen, but haven't really seriously looked. our bedroom isn't huge and the bed takes up way too much space. I have really wanted a certain style for quite a while and happened to look on the FB page of my favorite consignment store and saw exactly the kind of bed I've been wanting. so I went there today to look at it and ended up buying it. it's made by Drexel Heritage and I think it's beautiful. now we'll have to buy a mattress and box springs and in our 39 years of marriage DH and I have never agreed on what's comfortable in a mattress. Smiley Happy

I went to a new Sam's Club while I was out and stocked up on a few things too. I love their Scan & Go app. I can just whizz in and out and don't have to wait in any lines.

we have some dear friends (some of the ones we used to get together with every month or so before the pandemic) who have a daughter, daughter-in-law and a grandson that all got Covid. thankfully they are young and healthy and apparently had a mild case. but, the wives of two other people we know have died from it over the last week. both in their late 60's.

I can't wait until I can get vaccinated, but I don't think it will be any time soon.

@katte, I hate to hear you've not been feeling well. hope things will get better for you soon.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Trusted Contributor

Thanks to everyone for the warm get well wishes.  I'm sure i'll feel better soon. I think that ablation will make  a big difference.  Our vaccines are hard to get here in Arizona.  Very frustrating.  We went to Tucson today as DH had a doctor's appt.  Had lunch at In and Out Burger, DH's favorite place, although I must say i like it too. Smiley Happy