Respected Contributor

Re: 2020: The Year I Went Gray

@MissRose722  You are beautiful! I went gray several years ago, and have never looked back. Best "beauty" decision I ever made. It's not for everyone, of course, but I recommend at least trying it to anyone who is on the fence.

Respected Contributor

@gtx wrote:

Your hair is a gorgeous color and you are very beautiful!

I agree.

Esteemed Contributor

You look great!!
  I'm 64 years young. I have a little bit of gray , but not a lot. I have my hair colored about every 5 or 6 weeks. I don't look my age & can't see myself ever not coloring my hair. 
  It's a personal choice. There is no right or wrong.It's whatever is right for you.

Valued Contributor

You look lovely and your hair looks great!

I'm in the process of letting my color grow out.  It's been almost a year, but since my hair is a few inches below my shoulders, I still have probably another 8 months to go, with several trims along the way, to reach my full silver.  

I love the color coming in and it's shiny and healthy.  I have a young-looking face and my new color isn't making me look older at all.  In fact it goes well with my complexion, more so than my dyed blonde hair did.  And if one has an older-looking face, dyed hair isn't going to make them look younger.  

To those on the fence, I say give it a try!   It's easy enough to go back to the bottle.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all so much again for your kind and beautiful words!  You make my heart smile, and you are all beautiful too! 

As a FYI, I inherited my hair from my beloved Mom, God rest her soul.  Her hair turned silver-white by age 60, as did mine (I'm now 62).

With more women going gray and looking great, the stereotype about gray hair and aging is becoming a thing of the past. To the ones who posted here and taken the plunge, good for you! And to the ones who still color their hair, good for you too! Variety is truly the spice of life!

Esteemed Contributor

@MissRose722 

As others have said, your hair looks beautiful and so do you!

If I thought mine would come in this color, I'd consider it.  Right now, I'm still hanging on to my medium brown, but I know there is a lot of gray underneath there.

Not sure when or if I'll let it go (I'm 70, so NOT fooling anybody, I know), but I just think my olive skin looks better with brown hair.

You, however, look very sassy!  Enjoy it!

Respected Contributor

@MissRose722 You are very lovely in your picture!  I am so proud of you that you donated to locks of love and it is a worth while organization for children. You can bet they will be happy wearing your hair as a halo during a difficult time, God bless you!

Frequent Contributor

You look stunning! I saw alot of gray in my hair when salons were closed, and decided to brighten up my auburn color and add copper highlights when back to the salon. I also decided never to let myself go gray again - too much hassle to cover roots and I feel older when I see it! So I went the opposite way - but see how how well you carry off “gray gorgeous!” Enjoy!
Respected Contributor

So in 2009 at my fortieth hs reunion, I was still coloring. As were most of my classmates. I looked around and had an epiphany: we didn't look thirty or even forty. We looked like what we were-58 year olds with dyed hair. I stopped coloring immediately. Of course I had to accept the fact that I would probably be perceived differently out in the world. That was ok with me. Now I'm 69. I have not had any desire to color my hair again. My plan for aging gracefully has been, let my hair be its natural color, wear just enough makeup to enhance, keep my hands/nails and feet nicely groomed, wear eyeglasses frames that are modern and contrast with my grey hair. I try to accept with humor the physical changes that go with old age (not easy sometimes; two full replacements and one revision on the same knee in the past five years 😳). I would never have cosmetic procedures or plastic surgery. These principles are working for me. So far. 😉

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

I could've written that myself, @fairydogmother -- I wholeheartedly agree!

Beauty is an attitude.  Have a good one.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt