Trusted Contributor

Re: 2020: The Year I Went Gray

Wow!!!  You look great!  Love it!! 👍👍

Trusted Contributor

Love your hair and you are beautiful!!!!

Super Contributor

Thank you all very much for your beautiful words - it means so much to me, and it is truly appreciated!!

@Good4u And good for you too for no longer using hair color! It sounds like a very good plan, and hope to see your beautiful new look posted here.  Regarding my hair color, it does appear platinum under soft lighting as in my photo.  In brighter lighting, it looks just a tad whiter.  Although I don't use a toner per se, I do use a silver brightening/toning shampoo and conditioner twice a month.  The brand I use is One 'n Only Shiny Silver.  Other times of the month I use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.  The reasons I use the Shiny Silver products twice a month is because using them more frequently would cause buildup and give my hair a lavender tint (not that lavender is bad, but it's not a look for me).

@Squirrel Lover Your natural ash brown hair must look beautiful! If your hair develops more gray, I think it would blend very nicely. We're lucky to live in a time when there are product lines such as Shiny Silver that keep all shades of gray hair soft and shining!

Esteemed Contributor

I had issues with haircolor. I died my hair since I was 14.. for fun.  My father was not too happy.  Over the years I guess you would say I had EVERY COLOR IN THE BOOK.  I started to notice my hair was color resistant... so I decided to pay a beauty parlor to do it.  Long story short I happened to be stricken with occassional vertigo and could not "go back in the sink" for a wash.  

I just gave up and it was one of the best things I ever did.  My hair is silver white, curly, with great shine.  I use no product ... just shampoo and let my hair dry naturally. Compliments galore.  

Valued Contributor

You look great - congrats on making the change!

I am 65 and not ready yet.  Many of my friends and family have made the change.  

My mom (passed at age 93) made her change at 80.  We are dark eyed and complected and at first when my mom went gray it was hard for me to look at her (realizing she really was gray) but then I got used to it and it 'fit' her perfectly.

I don't have the best hair (very fine) and it needs color/highlights for me to have some volume.  

Gray is such a personal decision and it's not for me (today) but never say never!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've also let mother nature take over since last March, and got a short cut a few weeks ago to get rid of the remaing 'light ash brown'! I'm not really happy with my gray, it's salt and pepper all over. More salt in front and more pepper in back! I'm not sure I'll keep it this way, it make me feel my 62 yrs old. Woman Frustrated 

Esteemed Contributor

Your hair is beautiful, @MissRose722.  And so are you!  Good for you for taking the plunge and going gray.  Great decision.

I didn't color my hair, but did add a few streaks when my blonde hair started to turn gray in my 50's.  My hair gradually turned silver all over and, who knew?, I absolutely love the color.  Also wear a pixie cut similar to yours.   I think it's a fabulous look.  It sure is easy!

Thanks for the picture!   It takes courage to post a photo of yourself on this board!  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MissRose722   You and your silver locks look fantastic!

It's a big decision and donating your hair was a blessing.

I'm a fellow "silver sister"...took the plunge almost 3 1/2 years ago. I went the chicken way. My stylist bleached out my pixie cut, taking off all my dark brunette hair color from 4+ decades of dye. I went grey/silver by my mid-20s like the other women in my family. 

My hair was too dark to let the white come in naturally, so heavy (almost every hair) highlights and then it was toned to a silver grey. After 2 haircuts, like you, I was finished with hair color.

Freedom from salon appoinments every 2 1/2 weeks! No more planning events, vacations and living life thinking about  "roots" !  Now just haircut appointments that I have missed since last December as I've grown out my pixie to a bob without layers.

Congrats on your beautiful new look. Enjoy the compliments and healthy, unprocessed hair. 

Shanus

Honored Contributor

@MissRose722 

What a lovely thing you did!  I did not realize that they accepted colored hair!  Your haircut is so cute and I love your color!  It's kind of liberating, isn't it?  I took the plunge last year and decided to stop coloring my hair.  I had extremely long hair so it was a challenge.  Luckily, though my hair is not very dark, so it has not been too bad.  I still have a tiny bit of blonde on the ends but it's hardly noticeable.  Once I am able to get out for a trim, that will be gone!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@MissRose722  Lovely, inside and out!

Hope you continue to post.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!