Super Contributor

Hi There,

Although it's been some time since I posted here, I wanted to wish you all a Very Happy & Healthy New Year!  May 2021 be a much better year for everyone! 

Like many who work in offices, I have been working from home since March due to COVID-19.  In late March the salons in my area closed for the same reason. I flirted with the idea of going gray last year, but felt uncomfortable to do so as I was out and about all the time.  But working from home with no salons open, the opportunity presented itself so to say.  My hair was colored reddish-brown and shoulder length, so I decided to let it grow out.  Fast forward to late June, and the salons in my area reopened.  I now had almost three inches of natural hair color growth, and it was all silver-white. I made the move, went to my hairdresser and he cut my color-treated hair. It was tied in a ponytail and he cut it off in one piece.  I had him do this because I later donated the ponytail to the hair charity Locks of Love.  He then fashioned my hair in a pixie cut. There were still some color-treated ends, but over the next two months of regular trims, my hair is all natural now.  When I do go out, I have received so many compliments, and my sister loves how healthy it looks.  My recent photo is below. I hope my story helps anyone making this type of decision.  And there are so many women out there who have done the same, posting photos online, and they all look great!  I can truly say it is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

• P.S. Locks of Love accepts color-treated hair as well as natural color (virgin) hair, and the hair must be 10 inches or longer.  When I measured my ponytail, I thought it would be almost 10 inches. To my surprise, it was exactly 11 inches! Two weeks after I sent my hair donation, Locks of Love emailed to me their Certificate of Appreciation. It was my very first time donating to them, and that certificate made my heart smile! As you may know, Locks of Love creates wigs and hairpieces for children undergoing treatment for cancer - a truly worthy cause!

20201016_192208.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: 2020: The Year I Went Gray

Your hair looks great. Kudos to you.

Valued Contributor

Your hair is a gorgeous color and you are very beautiful!

Honored Contributor

You and your stylist did a great job. 

Trusted Contributor

OIP (2).jpg

Honored Contributor

Your hair looks great! Smiley Happy

I decided to get some highlights in July and have not gotten any touch ups since.  My blondish highlights have now grown about 2 1/2 inches and my hair is still brunette....no gray roots yet.

Respected Contributor

Love the color. Very becoming.

Valued Contributor

Good for you!  I am in the process of doing the freedom from hair dye too!  Though I have a long, long way to go.  I too have had my last hair dye in October '20.  All the box color I had is now gone.  I'm just about an inch into the process of growing out the color as winter is not hair growing season.  But I'm not deterred.  I will let it grow out over the winter and likely in May lighten whatever color I have left up three levels using a salon lightener which I can do myself. Then the following month use a color remover to remove the rest myself.  It will be a much faster process than just going cold turkey and getting regular trims.

OP, your hair looks like a light blonde to me in the pic.  Did you use a toner to achieve that color?  TIA. 

Honored Contributor

@MissRose722  You look beautiful!

Trusted Contributor

You look really sophisticated! Ver ty elegant. You will save some money. 

I am 55 and have no gray hair yet, but I am growing my highlighted hair out to my natural hair color which I haven't seen in 20 years. It is coming in a much darker color. I have been blonde all my life up until 35 then it turned dark ash blonde and it was straight.

I am going through menopause right now and my hair is now curly and light ash brown. I just had 6 inches cut off to a shoulder-length bob with no layers. And I love it. I have never had no layers before. Why didn't I do this before.? The people in my family don't get beautiful white hair like you do they get an ugly gray color so I don't know what I will do when I am older. I guess it depends on how our finances will be. 

It is a real eye-opener to see my natural hair now. I had to change my makeup a lot. I had to soften it. I got rid of all my darker eyeshadows and that looks better.