Respected Contributor

Re: “2020”~60’s Ladies & Everyone, Please Join Us!

@JustJazzmom, the termite damage was from years ago and has long been repaired. we use a service now that does an inspection and preventative treatment yearly.

I'll take a look at the links you provided. I was kind of thinking about ornamental grass of some sort but I don't know anything about them so I need to research. DH really doesn't want any kind of shrub again.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

hey all

not much going on here.

began raining bout 5ish. Light right now.

watching an old John Wayne,Robert Montgomery movie.

not much else tonight.

ok guys tomorrow

Honored Contributor

@Hayfield wrote:

Good Afternoon!--I can't remeber the last time I posted, it's been a little crazy here but thought you all might be thinking of me with the tropical storm coming.  Right now we're not expecting anything but lots of rain, winds be higher at night, possibly 40 MPH in our area.  We've brought in the outside furniture, so we're ready.  The tornados that come after a storm are the scariest.  It's expected to start raining sometime this early evening and raining through the night.  

I guess the biggest news is that DS came down from New York in mid-June, he's still working, thank goodness!  He works most of the time.  We do go to the pool for a two hour shift on Saturdays.  They've tried to make the pool accessible to everyone but still try to keep social distancing.  It's nice to have him here and thankfully we put the additional bedroom and bathroom above the garage when we built the house, so he has privacy and so do we.  DH is still golfing and we're both playing pickleball.  We do go out to dinner once a week, at least, the restaurants are so empty, so we feel safe, and the owners are so grateful, still trying to hang on.  Numbers are high in North Carolina with the virus but it's mostly in the Raleigh and Charlotte area, which aren't near us.  It's hot and humid here, typical for this time of year.  It sounds like everyone is busy and just waiting for this to be over!  Take care!  Try to post more often!

@Hayfield , I've been thinking of you! I'm so glad you were able to see your DS and with all we hear going on in New York, it's good to know he's still working. CA. is one of the hardest hit states with the virus, so there's all kinds of restrictions here in place. We talked to our DS over the weekend, and he's still seeing a rise in positive cases, although hospitalizations for now have stabilized. Stay safe during the predicted severe weather your way. Let us hear from you whenever you can!

~H~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MariotaMurielle  

Ornamental grasses can be tricky because some will freely self seed or be 'vigorous'. Read descriptions carefully. Bluestone Perennials has a large selection of ornamental grasses.  If you do purchase from Bluestone Perennials make sure that the coir pot is completely removed before planting. They say that the coir disintegrates over time, but I ended up losing an ornamental grass called Hakone grass because it became 'pot bound'.  And check your local cooperative extension for their recommendations to which ones perform well in your area.

https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/ornamental-grasses-and-grass-like-plants/

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MariotaMurielle 

This is from our next county over from my county:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.cce.cornell.edu/attachments/2235/Ornamental-Grasses-For-The-Home-And...

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a link to another retail site.

Honored Contributor

hey all

Justjazz that trop storm is super scary. It went up thru my entire state. Tornadoes many of them touched down, one was about mile from my house, many developments were hit hard. We got about 5 plus inch rain. High winds did much damage too. Many many trees down.

ok guys later

Honored Contributor

I'm back! We are losing power in blips. So everything needs resetting -- the DVR box for the TV. It's very windy here & no rain. The rain looks like it's headed up the middle of our state. Not a great day here. 

Honored Contributor

hey all

Justjazz, if you guys are spared from the rath of storm that will be great.

sunny and clear outside. Did get out for afternoon walk.

catching up on my dvr'ed programs. That is all for now, later guys

Respected Contributor

Good Evening!--Well we made through the tropical storm/hurricane OK.  The winds were about 70-80 mph and the eye came to shore about 40 minutes from our home.  We didn't have any damage.  We had to go into our laundry room for two tornado alerts and a home not far from us in another neighborhood was hit by a tornado.  We also had electricity, so we're very grateful.  Our development is only 10 years old and everything is undground and there are also many retention ponds throught the development to prevent major flooding.  I remember that they actually will drain them if a really big storm is expected.  Older neighborhoods don't do as well as ours during these times.  I hope that anyone in this storms path is OK.  I'll post again soon!