Super Contributor

Does anyone here make their own deodorant? How does it compare to the ingredients found in this recipe?

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/2-ingredient-diy-deodorant-recipe-that-works.html

Honored Contributor

Re: 2-Ingredient DIY Deodorant

I keep meaning to try to make my own. If you give it a try, please report back!

Respected Contributor

I've always worn ""Secret""
Honored Contributor

I love giving my 'homemade deodorant testimony"!! I've been using this recipe for almost 4 years! And it's not about cost, but really just about DIY'g!

I use a recipe of:

1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup coconut oil
5 drops of tea tree oil
Optional add'l extract oil for fragrance

This makes enough for 2-3 small jars...which lasts close to 5 months!! The 'looseness' of your mixture can vary from season to season...ie. It will be creamy in the summertime & very hard in the winter, but I've never had it stain any of my clothing...it melts right into your skin. So easy & cheap...and a much, much better alternative than anything you can buy.

Here's a link to an excellent YouTube video & a visual of what I use. Try it for a while...you'll be hooked!

Homemade Deodorant: How-To

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Valued Contributor

For the most part I use milk of magnesia that I've alowed to thicken on the side of the bottle. But this is Not an antiperspirant by any means. I recently purchased the deodorant spray from The Honest Company, but it stings a little. I've never had any reaction or sensitivity to the m.o.m.
Frequent Contributor

My sister jumped on this band wagon last year...after two weeks of using her homemade deordorant, she had the worst b.o ever! I put the kibosh on that and made her not only going to using the real stuff but also perfume! She smells nice now! ??
Honored Contributor

On 3/27/2015 sidsmom said:

I love giving my 'homemade deodorant testimony"!! I've been using this recipe for almost 4 years! And it's not about cost, but really just about DIY'g!

I use a recipe of:

1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup coconut oil
5 drops of tea tree oil
Optional add'l extract oil for fragrance

This makes enough for 2-3 small jars...which lasts close to 5 months!! The 'looseness' of your mixture can vary from season to season...ie. It will be creamy in the summertime & very hard in the winter, but I've never had it stain any of my clothing...it melts right into your skin. So easy & cheap...and a much, much better alternative than anything you can buy.

Here's a link to an excellent YouTube video & a visual of what I use. Try it for a while...you'll be hooked!

Homemade Deodorant: How-To

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I see this or a real similar recipe as the best for DIY deoderants.

Super Contributor

I am not asking this to be snarky, I just want to learn something. What is in store bought deoderant that you all choose not to use it?

Respected Contributor

I've thought of trying this. But I bought some Tom's of Maine natural, and I felt soooooooo sweaty!! I chunked it. I just could not handle it. I don't like the idea of using something with chemicals, but I also can't be wet and stinky. Maybe I could alternate one at night and one in the am? Idk...... If you try this, Crisso, will you please let us know how it goes?
Valued Contributor

From the time I was a teen, my underarms would become sore and tender when I used deodorants. I figured out that my undearms didn't like deodorant, and I'm personally leery of aluminum and some of the other chemicals. So I have tried to use natural deodorants since my college years, and using milk of magnesia I've experienced no irritation.