Respected Contributor

wrote:

if they offered no benfits at all meaning no sick time no personal time no vaction time and no hoilday pay. They let you take time off but do not pay you?

So @tockerman are you going to finish your post as to why the question is being asked ?

Honored Contributor

I know many college grads who had to take low paying jobs with no benefits. There are  tech factories in our state who hire people at 10 dollars an hour with no benefits.They don't care what kind of education you have because they know there is always someone to take your place. The factories by the way are owned by companies in other countries.

Valued Contributor

yes i had a job interview at that company. they have not offered me the job? thought it was odd no vaction time or even a sick or personal day? I am ok with no benefits my husband has the best benefits. I can learn a lot at that company. only thing hours are bad would not beable to go to doctor or dentist appointments.? But we will see praying another job offer comes from another place i applied. thanks for your help. 

Honored Contributor

@tockerman

Only if it were a supplemental job, that I enjoyed. Primary source of income if not retired? Only if my skills and education level limited my choice of employment. Me personally, I have never had, or wanted to have children, and was not married until age 62. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

The final few years I worked I switched to a position called "emergency relief". I could write my own schedules, work the number of hours I wanted and did not have to cover "on call". However, I got no sick pay, vacation pay, or holiday pay or overtime pay nor any benefits like health insurance. I simply scheduled myself the number of days I wanted to work & was paid a straight hourly wage for when I was there. I was only working 2 or 3 days a week anyway, didn't need the benefits.I had been working for decades averaging 60 to 70 hours a week and I was ill, burned out & just generally DONE with it. I did not care about the money anymore. I just eased myself into retirement. The up side was I did get to actually have a life plus they paid - at that time - $10 more per hour for those positions, because of all the things they did not have to pay for you like ins. I used to work almost every week Tuesday daylight and Thursday 3 to 11, if I worked another day it was because they called me & begged for help.

Honored Contributor

Yes, with a few qualifications. First, there would have to be a primary breadwinner with insurance and benefits in the household. Second, I would clarify how much time was acceptable to take off without pay. If 25 days a year would be okay, I'd accept the job and take my own unpaid vacation.

Respected Contributor

No working is not an option for me. I volunteered at the local library. It was a positive experience for me at the time. W hen my children were younger I toutered children that needed extra help.

Regular Contributor

This is more common than most people realize.  My college educated daughter works in a field that offers no benefits as it is "on call" . She recently moved to Las Vegas to get more hours.  While she gets paid $21 per hour, she is struggling to pay health insurance (she just aged off ours in Dec) along with her car insurance, rent, utilities, food, etc.  

I live in a small beach town in SW FL (which is a right to work state).  Very few companies hire full time with benefits.  Most people work 2-3 part time jobs to pay the bills, but, have no benefits.  Even Walmart will have them work just under what is required full time so they don't have to pay benefits.  

Honored Contributor

There's not a lot of jobs here that give you health benefits. Most are part time positions.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

if they offered no benfits at all meaning no sick time no personal time no vaction time and no hoilday pay. They let you take time off but do not pay you?

Usually such jobs are for those without any special skills or knowledge, and the employer can call the shots. They don’t need to provide benefits because it’s employer’s market.

Fortunately, I never had that issue (my job had enough other issues) while I was working. Now that I’m retired, sure I would. But as a regular working stiff, only if the pay is very good, or you cannot get any other kind of job.

I have had several friends throughout my life who did work under those circumstances. I don’t know how they did it. They had to have both the $$ for a vacation and their salary. They paid for their own health insurance for decades. They alwayswent to work sick. None of them made really great salaries either.  But those were the only jobs that were out there for their skill-set, basically generic office work.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all