Honored Contributor

May be an image of flower and text

Honored Contributor

May be an image of text that says 'A Wish for the Week Ahead May you find something to smile at, something to be grateful for, and something to care about. May you remember that hard times are not hard forevers, no matter how it feels while you're in one. May you trust yourself, even if others may doubt you, and may you honor each baby step you take forward. May your coffee be plentiful, your hope persistent, and your kindness abundant. Sweatpants coffee Sweatpants And Coffee, LLC 2020 Naner Hoflman'

Honored Contributor

May be an image of body of water, nature and sky

Honored Contributor

May be an image of animal and text

Honored Contributor

May be an image of flower, outdoors and tree

Honored Contributor

May be an image of dog

Honored Contributor

May be an image of cat, flower, outdoors and tree

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette ,

Regarding the new lawn mower, I haven't had a chance to actually use the thing yet because the grass is half dead (dry season down here in Florida).  It should start to rain every day in a couple of weeks and I'll let you know how it goes.

If you are going to buy a battery lawn mower, get a self propelled one.  Yes, they are more expensive.  But, you will kill yourself trying to push a non-self propelled mower.  

Compared to a gas mower, there is virually no upkeep involved with a battery mower other than scraping off wet grass from the underside.  I don't think my late husband ever sharpened the mower blade or replaced it on the old battery mower and it mowed fine.

The only down side is that the batteries won't take a charge five years down the road as they don't last forever.  And they are expensive to replace.  Still way better than having to fool around with a gas mower, though.

I got an EGO brand lawn mower and it has more features than the ECHO mower I had.  It is self-propelled and you can change the speed to your walking pace so you don't feel like it's getting away from you.  It came in a huge box at Lowe's and I had to get an employee to load it onto the cart and into my car for me because I just couldn't manage it.  I slid it out of my car and unboxed it, pretty easy to set up.  The mower was easier to set up than the weed wacker, actually.  There was no assembly other than attaching the grass catcher bag, easy-peasy.

I have found that the older I get, I can only do a few hours of yard work on a given day and the next day, I'm completely wiped out.  Very aggravating!  This getting old business really stinks.  I just don't have the stamina I used to have and took for granted when I was younger.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: widows thread

[ Edited ]

@geezerette  It hasn't been easy,  I have a lot of medical issues as I  age, and being a senior people like to take advantage if they can. I knew if I wanted to stay here I had to learn to do a lot on my own that my DH always did. We never needed help he could do anything, around the house that needed fixing, I needed to find someone I could trust to help me and not always depend on my Son for everything that wouldn't be fair. I like you hate making decisions on my own and dealing with strangers that's why I from the beginning started looking for a local handyman I could trust to not only do the work but be fair in pricing and to understand I was smart enough to shop the jobs I needed to have done. This in my mind is an ongoing learning process that we have been thrown into not by choice and it is difficult I agree.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I just mowed today.  The mower worked.  Last year the battery was dead.  The place we bought the mower from sent me a letter they are no longer doing repairs so I’ll need to find a new place.  Ugh

My weed wacker had no line coming out and I had to google how to get the spool off.  I finally did it and fixed the line.  This was the first day of the mowing season and I’m already tired.  This makes me feel very lonely.

@River Song I wouldn’t buy a chainsaw.  I have one but am afraid to use it.  Too dangerous.  I just read a story where some poor guy bought one and had a terrible accident and his wife found him.  He didn’t make it.