Trusted Contributor

why do chickens do some of the things they do?

This morning I was puttering around in the kitchen and gradually became aware that a bunch of crows was making a loud commotion. At first I thought that maybe they were "mobbing" a bird or an animal or something.

On the other hand, it occurred to me that perhaps chickens go through a "mating" or "estrus" cycle. Is that possible?

Yes, I know it's a stupid quesyion so go ahead and mock me and laigh at me--I've been chuckling all day--but I'll put up with it if anyone can answer my question. Do chickens go through a mating cycle? If they do, I hope it's over soon. Those hens are yelling and screaming and cackling enugh to both get on my last nerve and make me laugh.

TIA and, really, it IS ok to laugh; it IS kind of a dumb question.

Honored Contributor

Re: why do chickens do some of the things they do?

@FuzzyFace  Okay did you have crows or chickens making the noise?  Like most male birds, roosters do dance around to attract hens.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I wasn't sure whether you were asking about crows or chickens, but I think it's chickens. It's been a long time since I helped with chicken duties on the family farm as a little girl, but I don't think chickens go through a mating cycle. From what I've seen of them, they aren't too smart! Hopefully one of our sisters on a farm can answer your question. I'm betting the answer is no, they don't! Sounds more like they were agitated about something.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a friend who has chickens and I'll quote her "uh, no they don't need a man around to ovulate"....🤣

That was in response to a guy who asked why she had no roosters.

Honored Contributor

Could they chicken/crows be agitated over the presence of something like a coyote, fox or raccoon?  Maybe even an aggressive dog.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Chickens can lay eggs with or without a rooster around.  If there is no rooster, the eggs laid will be unfertilized.

If the chicken has mated with the rooster, all the eggs she lays for about a week or so, will be fertilized

if you suspect that the eggs could be fertilized, you can hold them up to a light or lit candle and  see.  Fertilized eggs are opaque looking and there is blood in the egg.

Sometimes ferterlized eggs get mixed in with unfertilized ones and when you crack them open, you will notice that the yolk has red veins.

Chickens don’t cycle.  If they are laying hens, they can mate anytime.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

Chickens can lay eggs with or without a rooster around.  If there is no rooster, the eggs laid will be unfertilized.

If the chicken has mated with the rooster, all the eggs she lays for about a week or so, will be fertilized

if you suspect that the eggs could be fertilized, you can hold them up to a light or lit candle and  see.  Fertilized eggs are opaque looking and there is blood in the egg.

Sometimes ferterlized eggs get mixed in with unfertilized ones and when you crack them open, you will notice that the yolk has red veins.

@Carmie wrote:

ewwwww....i'll never eat another omelet!!

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

It's all chicken. . . Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

It's all chicken. . . Woman Very Happy

@Carmie  Thanks for the chicken/rooster sex education! 

Do you hold classes? Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Newgate  I learned this in HS in a class called Love, Sex and Marriage.  I proudly came home with an A and my father wasn’t pleased.

We started out with chickens and worked our way up to humans.  It was some interesting stuff.