Honored Contributor

Re: what do you think of a sister who didn't offer a place to stay for a a week or two?

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@CouponQueen wrote:

Geesh Lousie folks...do you like kicking puppies too when they are down?  She is looking for a kind word, comfort of a shoulder..

You know the situation...we all read it..so why are some digging in that knife and twisting it as you go? For the life of me..I cannot understand mean...beyond MEAN..does it hurt anybody to say something KIND..?? If you can't why not pass the thread by! She isn't looking to have the knife that is already in dug deeper and twisted.

We know from her previous post she did not want to move..her daughter was/is probaby making a bad move..but they are the support system for each other. It is her daughter and young granddaughter...so leave her behind..? They all live on a limited resources and probablay combined live a fairly decent lifestyle..

No, she did not want to move, Yes, her daughter made the decision so what is she to do..go off in assisted living (if she could afford it..) and worry about them? No, of course not, she went along with it for her sake and theirs.  Not everybody is pizz perfect in life...I wish people would comment on topic and not on poster..Three people could write the same thing..three different responses based on WHO the author is..

LindseyGrandma I can certainly understand your hurt feelings, and  do people READ before adding hurtful comments. They were not looking to freeload all three of them for uncertain period of time...to spare the OP the long drive, they thought the sister would of offered her a place til her daughter arrived.

I get your disappointment...I have come to find out..within my own family not everybody thinks or does as I would do..and still learn when a situation comes up still.. a lesson we all have to learn... It is a reflection on her..not you.

Also, I hope the move works out for you all...especially the young grandaughter who was uprooted from everything..I would of went too..no way would of let them move on their own..and this is her FAMILY...family that has been together for years...right or wrong ..this is their little network of family that works for them....

I hope you find a cute place, and get used to the area/weather. Cost of living is supposed to be fairly reasonable there and hopefully your daughter can find a decent job! Either way "xxxx" your sister...and do not let it get you down...consider this a adventure with your grandaughter and keep us posted...IGNORE the debbie downers...what can I say...their cannot find a box of Cheerios that somebody hasn't soiled..that is their problem.. ...so if we all had to eat soiled cheerios on a daily basis..we would act like that too!! Just think of that when you see such mean comments..There is no reason or room for MEAN..

Sometimes if you don't have anything nice to say...why say anything at all...? just because you can doesn't mean you should..lastly every day in my line of work..I often think "FOR THE GRACE OF GOD GO I..." it could be any one of us...at any given time..

Are you done with your rant?  You had me feeling bad until I read your words highlighted above.  Class act.  

magicmoodz...I haven't been on the forum for a few days, just saw your post 12/14.  I can't thank you enough for your understanding and kind words.  I decided not to look at the thread again but when I signed in I came upon your post.  I will ignore the hurtful ones because I am tired of explaining myself over and over.  I taught my children and grandchildren the exact words you wrote, "If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all."  I was delighted when I saw that you had posted that.  When anyone comes on the forum either asking for advice, or just letting out hurt feelings, or need a way to do something they should not be insulted, treated with venom, or put down and yet that is what happens here all too often,  Again I thank you for your kindness and wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and  a New Year filled with Good Health and Happiness. 

90% of the responses to your question were kind but questioned whether this was a move that would be beneficial for you. You chose to focus on the negative responses rather than the out-pouring of genuine concern. I guess I don't get it....

@Trinity11

I get it.

There are people in this world who always see themselves as the "victim", and only want sympathy 100% of the time.

They are never responsible for whatever happens to them. Personal responsibility is a foreign concept to them. They are always "helpless" to whatever befalls them. Anything less than 100% pure sympathy for them, they consider to be "mean".

And people "pick on" them and single them out. They are a legend in their own mind, when in reality people respond to them *based on what they say*, i.e. the information they provide, the manner in which they express themselves (how they present/phrase situations), and whether they can accept commentary other than 100% unconditional support.

For me as a reader, acceptance of personal responsibility is key. That does not mean the person must say "yes, it's all my fault!" It does mean that the person expresses that they consider what others have to say, that they may have a point, never looked at it that way, yes I suppose I may be to blame in that (aspect), etc, or gives further explanation if appropriate and relevant.  

There is another thread which has been to a point concurrent with this one, with a somewhat different response. The OP has been consistent in the info she has given, doesn't back-track or change her story. She may explain more fully or re-explain to answer questions. She doesn't seem threatened by questions or be upset by them for the most part. Some people may misunderstand or question her narrative but she deals with that without becoming overtly hostile.

Due to all the above, I find that poster believable and sympathetic, regardless of my opinion about her issues. I don't believe that with that poster, unlike some others, it's All About teh Drama and agreeing with/validating them.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Regular Contributor

Re: what do you think of a sister who didn't offer a place to stay for a a week or two?

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@CouponQueen wrote:

Geesh Lousie folks...do you like kicking puppies too when they are down?  She is looking for a kind word, comfort of a shoulder..

You know the situation...we all read it..so why are some digging in that knife and twisting it as you go? For the life of me..I cannot understand mean...beyond MEAN..does it hurt anybody to say something KIND..?? If you can't why not pass the thread by! She isn't looking to have the knife that is already in dug deeper and twisted.

We know from her previous post she did not want to move..her daughter was/is probaby making a bad move..but they are the support system for each other. It is her daughter and young granddaughter...so leave her behind..? They all live on a limited resources and probablay combined live a fairly decent lifestyle..

No, she did not want to move, Yes, her daughter made the decision so what is she to do..go off in assisted living (if she could afford it..) and worry about them? No, of course not, she went along with it for her sake and theirs.  Not everybody is pizz perfect in life...I wish people would comment on topic and not on poster..Three people could write the same thing..three different responses based on WHO the author is..

LindseyGrandma I can certainly understand your hurt feelings, and  do people READ before adding hurtful comments. They were not looking to freeload all three of them for uncertain period of time...to spare the OP the long drive, they thought the sister would of offered her a place til her daughter arrived.

I get your disappointment...I have come to find out..within my own family not everybody thinks or does as I would do..and still learn when a situation comes up still.. a lesson we all have to learn... It is a reflection on her..not you.

Also, I hope the move works out for you all...especially the young grandaughter who was uprooted from everything..I would of went too..no way would of let them move on their own..and this is her FAMILY...family that has been together for years...right or wrong ..this is their little network of family that works for them....

I hope you find a cute place, and get used to the area/weather. Cost of living is supposed to be fairly reasonable there and hopefully your daughter can find a decent job! Either way "xxxx" your sister...and do not let it get you down...consider this a adventure with your grandaughter and keep us posted...IGNORE the debbie downers...what can I say...their cannot find a box of Cheerios that somebody hasn't soiled..that is their problem.. ...so if we all had to eat soiled cheerios on a daily basis..we would act like that too!! Just think of that when you see such mean comments..There is no reason or room for MEAN..

Sometimes if you don't have anything nice to say...why say anything at all...? just because you can doesn't mean you should..lastly every day in my line of work..I often think "FOR THE GRACE OF GOD GO I..." it could be any one of us...at any given time..

Are you done with your rant?  You had me feeling bad until I read your words highlighted above.  Class act.  

magicmoodz...I haven't been on the forum for a few days, just saw your post 12/14.  I can't thank you enough for your understanding and kind words.  I decided not to look at the thread again but when I signed in I came upon your post.  I will ignore the hurtful ones because I am tired of explaining myself over and over.  I taught my children and grandchildren the exact words you wrote, "If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all."  I was delighted when I saw that you had posted that.  When anyone comes on the forum either asking for advice, or just letting out hurt feelings, or need a way to do something they should not be insulted, treated with venom, or put down and yet that is what happens here all too often,  Again I thank you for your kindness and wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and  a New Year filled with Good Health and Happiness. 

Lindsays Grandma, just thought you would like to know that the post you were refering to ("If you have nothing nice to say..."), was Posted by CouponQueen. Magicmoodz's post follows the one posted by CouponQueen.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@CouponQueen wrote:

90% of the responses to your question were kind but questioned whether this was a move that would be beneficial for you. You chose to focus on the negative responses rather than the out-pouring of genuine concern. I guess I don't get it....

I don't get it, either.  And it actually was because of helpful posters here that the OP found out her sister lives hours away, information that she didn't already have and that apparently has now made a difference.

I also think that what was perceived as "insulting" really was the result of her previous post in which she said she hated Florida, didn't want to deal with bugs, and didn't want to move.  She said that her daughter was giving her no choice, and had told her that she either moves to Florida or can stay where she is "and rot".  The entire theme of that post was that she didn't want to go.  Many posters offered helpful advice as to how she could afford to stay where she is,and many told her that she deserves to be treated better.  Which she does.  She's been above and beyond for her daughter and granddaughter, and no one should be forced from their home against their will, especially someone recovering from an injury.

Yes, there have been posts that are critical, but that's to be expected on forums of any kind, and a lot of it here is because many of us read the inital post.  So there probably hasn't been the huge amount of support that the OP expected, but I read this entire thread, and saw nothing close to "venom".  

If you ask a question on a forum, you have to be prepared for the answers.  Anyone who just wants their own opinion validated rather than honest answers probably shouldn't put any questions out there.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do not blame yourself, I have a sister that acts just like that. For years I soul searched and wondered what the problem was...she would keep in contact, but in retrospect I see it was so she could flaunt her material acquisitions. I came to the painful conclusion that she is a covert narcissist. The more I read about the illness the more I saw and identified so many of her traits. I lost her, but I gained myself and a peace that had eluded me for years. The fact is, if she isnt going to make the effort to see you and have you in her life, she is sending a very negative message to you. DO not eat the crumbs she leaves, just walk away, you do not deserve the mistreatment. It is far better to be the one in control.

I am adding this after reading   more of the thread. First off, I am so sorry you have been piled up on here, honestly there are some very lacking individuals that live here and offer opinions based on a very limited grasp of the complications in relationships. I would just like to add one thing. I have a lovely friend, her life is literally being ruined by her adult daughter who is also a narcisist. Please read about this illness, it may help you to understand why you are being taken advantage of and not being acknowledged the way you should be. Blessings and stay strong.

Valued Contributor

plaid pants...she is coming for support, not suspicion, gees.

Esteemed Contributor

@katiemichelle wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@CouponQueen wrote:

Lindsays Grandma, just thought you would like to know that the post you were refering to ("If you have nothing nice to say..."), was Posted by CouponQueen. Magicmoodz's post follows the one posted by CouponQueen.

@katiemichelle

Thank you for pointing that out.  I would never want my name associated with CouponQueen's words.  

I stand by what I posted way upthread.  I do think it is fairly easy to assess that Lindseys Grandma is maybe more dependant on her daughter while she has implied the opposite. Then I do understand that it would be difficult or maybe even impossible to stay behind or move back to California.  There is, however, a kind and gentler way for daughter to force the move.  

Since daughter has engaged a place to stay, perhaps LG could fly to Florida and stay wherever they plan on living.  That sounds like a workable solution to an otherwise 4-day car trip, unless the level of dependence is so great that it is beyond the comfort level.   

Honored Contributor

@blankette wrote:

plaid pants...she is coming for support, not suspicion, gees.

She wants "support" for her flawed ideas. That's the problem. 

Respected Contributor

I guess I am just not sure how helpful "support" in the form of agreeing that a relative/friend/boss/stranger acted badly is in terms of actually solving a problem.  There seem to be a lot of threads that ask us to judge someone we don't know given one sided facts and it seems to me that even if we agree the person in question was wrong, often that really does nothing to move the aggrieved party forward.

In this case, her sister didn't ask her to come stay with her.  So she can get us all to agree that this was horrible and beyond the pale, but how does that help her?  But then, she didn't really ask for help, she just asked us to judge her sister.  Oh well.

Respected Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma Before you get too hurt, is it possible that she simply didn't think to ask? She might be in early stages of Alzheimer's or simply having memory issues. She might also think you would have asked if you had wanted to stay with her. Whatever the reason, it does you no good to feel bad over something you don't know for sure was intentional.

You might call her again and express your concern over making the trip. Tell her that if you fly you'd be there alone for a few days and aren't sure you feel comfortable with that. See if that jogs her memory. If not, you will make the trip with your dad and when you arrive you may find why she didn't ask you. Could it be she no longer has her home? I wish you a good move and much happiness! Good luck.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I guess I am just not sure how helpful "support" in the form of agreeing that a relative/friend/boss/stranger acted badly is in terms of actually solving a problem.  There seem to be a lot of threads that ask us to judge someone we don't know given one sided facts and it seems to me that even if we agree the person in question was wrong, often that really does nothing to move the aggrieved party forward.

In this case, her sister didn't ask her to come stay with her.  So she can get us all to agree that this was horrible and beyond the pale, but how does that help her?  But then, she didn't really ask for help, she just asked us to judge her sister.  Oh well.

Yes, this. Thank you for stating so well what some of us feel.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all