Esteemed Contributor

Re: what do you think of a sister who didn't offer a place to stay for a a week or two?

@lulu2 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma

There could be any number of reasons why your sister did not offer you a place to stay.  As I recall from your previous thread, welcoming hospitality is not one of her strong suits.

Personally I always prefer a hotel to another's home.  I think it is an excellent idea that you wait until your daughter is settled then fly to Florida. 

Good luck with your move.  I remember your apprehension and hope you are now looking forward to your new home.  I hope the move isn't too hard on your dear Lindsay.  Uprooting a child can be a difficult transition.

Lindsay is looking forward to it, she doesn't like it here any more than we do.  We have to watch our budget and my staying behind has not been included.  Since I broke my hip it is not a good idea for me to be left on my own.  Happy Hoidays and thanks for you nice post.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: what do you think of a sister who didn't offer a place to stay for a a week or two?

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

As far as having family stay with you for a while,like them coming  to see you, i have had that many times in the years, that is just one of the things family does, some on here sound so cold,and uncaring, no wonder our nation is getting worse.

Every poster on this board has had a different childhood. Either with parents or siblings, all families are different. Some people have wonderful relationships with family and some have had horrific relationships. Judging all as the same just doesn't make sense.

I got news for you,things have not always been wonderful, but one still has family, not talking about abuse,that is not something any one should put up with,i said what i know is the truth.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Wait a minute did you say in the earlier thread that you detest Florida, the last time you were there you ended up covered in bug bites in unmentionable places, why the sudden turn around. 

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma

There could be any number of reasons why your sister did not offer you a place to stay.  As I recall from your previous thread, welcoming hospitality is not one of her strong suits.

Personally I always prefer a hotel to another's home.  I think it is an excellent idea that you wait until your daughter is settled then fly to Florida. 

Good luck with your move.  I remember your apprehension and hope you are now looking forward to your new home.  I hope the move isn't too hard on your dear Lindsay.  Uprooting a child can be a difficult transition.

Lindsay is looking forward to it, she doesn't like it here any more than we do.  We have to watch our budget and my staying behind has not been included.  Since I broke my hip it is not a good idea for me to be left on my own.  Happy Hoidays and thanks for you nice post.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I agree with most of the others. And I see you caved in to your daughter after all. Good luck.

It isn't that I caved in, I have no alternative.  At my age I certainly don't wish to stay alone in a state I don't like, have no friends or family.  We will make the best of it and as my sister said last night, "You never know, you might like Florida and you are going to a nice area,"  We are going to Kissimnee outside of Orlando.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I truely hope it all works out for you

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

As far as having family stay with you for a while,like them coming  to see you, i have had that many times in the years, that is just one of the things family does, some on here sound so cold,and uncaring, no wonder our nation is getting worse.

Every poster on this board has had a different childhood. Either with parents or siblings, all families are different. Some people have wonderful relationships with family and some have had horrific relationships. Judging all as the same just doesn't make sense.

I got news for you,things have not always been wonderful, but one still has family, not talking about abuse,that is not something any one should put up with,i said what i know is the truth.

@goldensrbest

Bingo! You said it. Lucky you.

What @proudlyfromNJ said, all family dynamics are different, you can't judge them them all the same.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lindsays Grandma, you seriously didn't expect to get all well wishes, did you?  When you put yourself out into the universe, there are going to be some who have different philosophies than yourself.  It happened to me years ago when I genuinely wanted advice.  It became so filled with vitriol that I had to call QVC to have the post deleted since that is not an option here (or wasn't years ago).  Be wary when you divulge details about your personal life.  All are not your close buddies talking over a cup of coffee.  Best to ask those questions of people really close to you, those who know more of the details and people involved.  Anyway, if I were you, I would put my big girl panties on and ask your sister if you could stay for a few hours.  So what if she says no?   She will probably feel more awkward for refulsing than you would for asking.  You would certainly know then how to proceed with the relationship, the limitations, the boundaries.  If she says no, just say OK, no hard feelfings and make other arrangements.  Best of luck to you with the move.  BTW, I don't know how to carry a post onto my reply.  How do you do that?

Honored Contributor

Kissamee is a very touristy area and it is also very very hot and humid from June to September

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma. I read where you had said the three of you live togerther, do you have friends you can talk to about this move? If your daughter is taking advantage of you, you need to get some help.

goldensrbest...My three closest dearest friends died from breast cancer, 2 in 2011 and another in 1995.  I have no other friends, don't like AZ.  After breaking my hip last year and being a senior I certainly don't plan on staying alone where I don't know anyone and don't like where I'm living.  I think things will be better once we leave here and Lindsay is actually looking forward to it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kleo wrote:

Lindsays Grandma, you seriously didn't expect to get all well wishes, did you?  When you put yourself out into the universe, there are going to be some who have different philosophies than yourself.  It happened to me years ago when I genuinely wanted advice.  It became so filled with vitriol that I had to call QVC to have the post deleted since that is not an option here.  Be wary when you divulge details about your personal life.  All are not your close buddies talking over a cup of coffee.  Best to ask those questions of people really close to you, those who know more of the details and people involved.  Anyway, if I were you, I would put my big girl panties on and ask your sister if you could stay for a few hours.  So what if she says no?   She will probably feel more awkward for refulsing than you would for asking.  You would certainly know then how to proceed with the relationship, the limitations, the boundaries.  If she says no, just say OK, no hard feelfings and make other arrangements.  Best of luck to you with the move.  BTW, I don't know how to carry a post onto my reply.  How do you do that?

@cddh

If by "carry" you mean how to quote someone in your reply, just hit reply on their post, when the window to post comes up you;ll see 'quote' in the top left corner of the post. Click on that and it will put the post you're responding to in your reply box, then just type your response. HTH!

ETA: I hope this is what you meant, if not, I'll feel like a total idiot....oh well, not the first time.....not the last, LOL!

Merry Christmas!

Smiley xmas tree 070.gif
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.