Honored Contributor

Re: what do you think of a sister who didn't offer a place to stay for a a week or two?

@Lindsays Grandma, I read the thread about you not wanting to move there, why in the world are you making this move?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: what do you think of a sister who didn't offer a place to stay for a a week or two?

I would have to talk to the sister first. If you have confided in her about your situation and how much you hate moving to Florida, she could just think you're making a big mistake and doesn't want to encourage it. It sounds to me like she may be against this move, especially if she knows about you and your daughters disagreement on moving there in the first place. Maybe she thinks you would be better off right where you are.  I don't know.....would have to know more about the situation to give advice.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe the sister doesn't want to get involved in a mother/daughter drama.

On the first page of that other thread, the o/p even said that her sister was against the move to FL.

And just because she is the o/p's sister, doesn't mean that she has to do a darned thing.

Anybody else notice how the o/p is always the "victim" in her stories?

Honored Contributor

If you were truly close with your sister, you could ask.  If you aren't close, what's the big deal?  Yes, it would have been nice and perhaps a way to reconnect.  But why is that her fault.  Start asking for what you want.  If someone says no, move on.

Honored Contributor

Life has taught me not to have expectations of what someone else should do for me, to make my life easier.   

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Life has taught me not to have expectations of what someone else should do for me, to make my life easier.   

I agree with that, and would add that life has taught me to stand up for myself, say what it is that I want or don't want, and to not be anybody's doormat.

I control my own life.

Maybe if the o/p was more like that, she wouldn't find herself in these "crises".

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think the OP should let her daughter & grand daughter leave a few days ahead of her and make the drive then when they arrive and are in their new home she could fly .It would be a good time for her daughter & grand daughter to spend together. But, to be honest, there is no drama in doing it so sensibly.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I think the OP should let her daughter & grand daughter leave a few days ahead of her and make the drive then when they arrive and are in their new home she could fly .It would be a good time for her daughter & grand daughter to spend together. But, to be honest, there is no drama in doing it so sensibly.

100%

OP shouldn't be giving up her life in her home anyway

Honored Contributor

OP, should do what she wants to do, not what daughter wants, it is her life,i understand it would be  not being with daughter,and GD ,if you love it where you live ,you should not leave.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

There are simply too many unanswered questions for me to intelligently answer this question.  

Let me start by saying if my sister had a daughter who suggested if she stay put she could "rot", I would probably not be in a hurry to make my home available to a family of three.  Because unless a home has been purchased or rented, that is likely to happen.  If not, how would OP get from her sister's home to another city 3 hours away?

Along these same lines, I also wonder how furniture and personal belongings are being transported?   And to where?  

Is the Florida job a sure thing?  What happens if not?  A 51-year old woman with a child better have concrete plans and a bank account with a minimum of a generous 6 months living expenses simply to get by until solid employment is established.  

Honestly, if I were the sister knowing only as much as we know (and she probably knows much, much more), I would be hesitant to welcome guests who could turn into a long-term living arrangement. 

OP, I am sorry you are giving in to your daughter's whim to relocate when it is not what you want.  I do wish you happiness.