Trusted Contributor

Re: what do you think of a sister who didn't offer a place to stay for a a week or two?

3 extra people to feed and wash towels for is a lot. That's probably $275 extra groceries if not more. That's also a lot of company when a person wants their own space in their own home, too. I can't say I blame her.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: what do you think of a sister who didn't offer a place to stay for a a week or two?

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

Maybe your sister doesn't live in a million-dollar home, and is not as rich as you think..................      

Or maybe she's going through a difficult time, and can't handle the additional complication right now.

Or maybe there's something about her private life that she chooses to keep private.

Or maybe she assumes it wouldn't be a good idea given the distance.

Or maybe it never crossed her mind as something she should offer or as something the OP might like to do.

I don't understand faulting the sister.  Getting upset because someone didn't do something we think they should do makes no sense to me.  Communication is everything!  In this situation, I would bring up the possiblity and ask her in a way that leaves her an out (because there very well may be a compelling reason why it wouldn't be a good idea, and I also wouldn't want someone to feel forced into doing something they'd rather not do.)

I think the OP should either ask her or not.  As someone said upthread, the sister is not a mind-reader.  Even if she says no for her own reasons, I still don't think that makes her the bad guy.

eta:  Just want to clarify - I would only ask if it was someone like a sister or a very close friend.  Not anyone else.

Honored Contributor

Maybe your sister has a live-in boyfriend you don't know about.........   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

Is this the daughter who makes poor decisions and is uprooting her daughter and you to move to Fl on a whim with no job lined up?   Maybe your sister is familiar with the  situation and is afraid that you will end up there for a long period of time?  DO you have a place to live in Fl?

I remember that @KathyPet. This thread explains the situation. Maybe the sister doesn't want to get involved and anyway Winter Park isn't very close to her.

"HELP MY DAUGHTER WANTS TO MOVE TO FLORIDA"

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/HELP-MY-DAUGHTER-WANTS-TO-MOVE-TO-FLORIDA/td-p/3258709

Honored Contributor

Clearly, you are hurt. Whatever her reason(s) for that behavior, let go and get on with what you have to do. Make it nice for those of you going on the trip and enjoy it together. If you stay hurt and mad at her, it'll ruin it for you three. Make the move a fun experience and just enjoy each other.

Esteemed Contributor

I am thinking that, because of the distance between your new location and hers, it probably never occurred to her.

Good luck with the trip.  LM

Honored Contributor

Winter Park is far away from Boca Grande.I would not have thought to invite you either, if I were your sister. 

Honored Contributor

Do you have a place to live? Does your daughter have a job? I think these were some problems from the previous posts. You didn't want to go, but I guess you changed your mind.

Maybe your sister is afraid you all will decide to stay with her permanently.

Respected Contributor

Rather than get worked up about what you sister "should" do, if it will bother your hip to ride in the car for 4 days, why don't you fly out and get a hotel and await your daughter's arrival?  Problem solved.

Trusted Contributor

My brother said no ... when I drove in for long weekend to see my friend 10 minutes from my brother.  I called and asked him if I could arrive late afternoon go out to dinner and stay overnight... just a quick visit... before meeting my friend.  He said no.  Last time I saw him, my dad's funeral a few years ago.  I guess the next time will be one our own funerals.

Moral of the story ... Don't ask ... because, you probably already know the answer.  Yes... it hurts.  Sorry... but, I hope you make the most of your trip. Make frequent stops and enjoy the view of our beautiful country along the way.