Esteemed Contributor

what do you think of a sister who didn't offer a place to stay for a a week or two?

My daughter, granddaughter and I are moving to Florida from AZ in a few weeks, we will be driving, or at least my daughter will be.  My sister lives in FL in Boca Grande in a two story million dollar house by herself, she is a well to do widow.  We never had problems in our relationship but we have lived three thousand miles away from each other for many, many years.  We communicate by phone and e-mail.

Recently when we discussed the trip by car she was concerned because I broke my hip last year and spending hours in a car for four days is not a good thing.  My daughter and I were on the phone with her a few days ago talking about the move and when we got off the phone my daughter couldn't understand why her aunt did not tell me to get on a plane and come to her house until my daughter gets there.  I am a bit hurt that she didn't, it would be so much easier for me.  She knows that I am very likable, neat and organized and in no way would disrupt her life.  She is the only sibling I have and for sure I would do it for her if it were reversed.  I'll get through the trip and will probably need some physical therapy when I get there but I am disappointed that she didn't offer that to me. I won't ask her because it would hurt even more to hear her give an excuse why she can't.  She is smart enough to figure it out by herself. Am I wrong in feeling  hurt?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: what do you think of a sister who didn't offer a place to stay for a a week or two?

Why didn't you ask?  If you are on good terms, why wouln't you just ask?  You never see each other so, she probably didn't even think about it.  Million dollar home or not, the woman is not a mind reader.

Honored Contributor

Re: what do you think of a sister who didn't offer a place to stay for a a week or two?

I was just about to post the same thing.  Also, maybe the bedrooms in this two-story house are upstairs and she thought it would be difficult for the OP to navigate them.

If it were me, I'd have asked, pure and simple.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Because you never asked and because Boca Grande is 3 hours south of Winter Park  (where you originally said you were moving), you can't fault your sister. 

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised you are making the move to Florida after all.

I hope it goes well for you.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I would ask her.  if she says no, then you may not be as close as you think.  

Super Contributor

I live in Ft. Myers.. and Boca Grande is well south of Winter Park.

Esteemed Contributor

Were you expecting all 3 of you to stay with your sister or you were staying while everyone else got settled?

I have 2 sisters who are The Queens of Selfish so I expect zero from them. They haven't disappointed me yet!

Honored Contributor

Maybe your sister doesn't live in a million-dollar home, and is not as rich as you think..................      

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Is this the daughter who makes poor decisions and is uprooting her daughter and you to move to Fl on a whim with no job lined up?   Maybe your sister is familiar with the  situation and is afraid that you will end up there for a long period of time?  DO you have a place to live in Fl?