Valued Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

The one that gets me is affect and effect.  I know one is normally a verb and one is normally a noun.  And also to remember it as one is the cause and one is the result.  But then I sometimes forget which is which!

This used to get me until I started thinking of affect as action verb.  Both start with a.

Valued Contributor

@TaylorBrown wrote:

We need a poster like this for "your" and "you're."

@TaylorBrown Don't get me started!!!  A pet peeve of mine.

Valued Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I'm such a stickler on correct spelling. It drives me so crazy on these boards when someone spells something wrong. I just have to leave.

@ID2 Makes me wonder if people proofread what they write.  It bugs me when I find a error in my posts, I will always go back and correct them.  For some reason sometimes I don't catch an error until it's been posted and I go back to read it, don't always use spell check because I'm so sure I've caught everything.

Valued Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

I'm such a stickler on correct spelling. It drives me so crazy on these boards when someone spells something wrong. I just have to leave.

@ID2. Drives me crazy when someone posts ‘walla’ Instead of ‘voila’

@proudlyfromNJ You are good, I would have never guessed that's what they meant, but I guess the content of the sentence would be a giveaway.  Ahhhh the English language, oh but that's Italian, right?  Just had to check with SIri to make sure.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think people care and know how to use the grammar they learned in grade school, they're just typing too fast and get tripped up. LOL

Honored Contributor

@Snowhite714 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2. Drives me crazy when someone posts ‘walla’ Instead of ‘voila’

@proudlyfromNJ You are good, I would have never guessed that's what they meant, but I guess the content of the sentence would be a giveaway.  Ahhhh the English language, oh but that's Italian, right?  Just had to check with SIri to make sure.  Smiley Happy

@Snowhite714 . French

Valued Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I think people care and know how to use the grammar they learned in grade school, they're just typing too fast and get tripped up. LOL

@blackhole99  Nice try.

Honored Contributor

The main one on these forms that bothers me is when people use of instead of have.  This happens all the time.  I don't understand why they don't know the difference.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack 

It’s basic grade school stuff, right? I see errors and wonder, “WHERE did you go to school?” 

Honored Contributor

Voila=Whoop, there it is!!!!!!!