Honored Contributor
I know how to spell. Chubby fingers, posting from an iPhone, auto correct, and the lack of an ability to edit a post when posting from the phone app, all conspire against me. I am not going to chastise someone for poor spelling or grammar. It’s a message board!
Honored Contributor

My pet peeve (not really, but...) is how people use *YAY, yeah, or yea*

YAY is like for instances of 'Yay!! We won.

Yeah is for instances when you're agreeing with something as in 'Yeah, it's raining outside'.

But people will use 'yea' for 'YAY! or yeah, but yea is more like 'Hear Ye, Hear Ye'.  (I'm pretty sure...Woman LOL)

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Snowhite714 

Oops!  Sorry! 

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ   I don't believe the thread was started with the intention of criticizing fellow posters here, although something seen on the boards in other places might have triggered its start.   From there the discussion widened in the direction of other misused spellings and meanings.  I don't think there is any condescension occuring.

Some folks have talent with words and how they are used, written or spoken, so when they see or hear something incorrect it grates on them and they vent.  

They seek clarity in the written and spoken word.  It is, for some, very much a passion--the study of language practices.

For example, a great number of people on here are very talented in sewing; I am not among their ranks.  If they had a gander at my efforts they would be forgiven by me if they did a genuine eye roll, or winced, at the results of my truly pathetic efforts in sewing by hand or machine.  

From time to time I still try again, at least with hand work, but aside from the simplest thing like sewing on a button, I just don't have the knack.  And, I'm resigned to that fact and am comfortable with it, especially since I know there are lots of other things in which I have much greater proficiency.

Respected Contributor

My personal pet peeves are:

"It's a mute point". No, it's a MOOT point.

"I could care less". Really, how much less could you care? The correct phrase is "I COULDN'T care less". 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Valued Contributor

One of the things, that really bothers me, is when someone, puts a comma, where it doesn't need, to be.Cat Wink

Honored Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

One of the things, that really bothers me, is when someone, puts a comma, where it doesn't need, to be.Cat Wink

@DearPrudence. I find when I am responding on my IPad, half the time when I hit the space bar I hit the comma next to it instead. Sometimes I go back and remove it, sometimes I don’t. Not that important to me. 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435. You’re very kind, but the mistakes mentioned on this thread are all over the board and I hope the posters that make them aren’t reading this thread. That’s just the way I am seeing things.

Honored Contributor

My favorite is when posters go out of their way to correct a spelling or grammar mistake of someone else and their own post is riddled with errors.  And it pretty much never fails to happen.  Makes me laugh.

There are some people who very obviously don't know the difference in certain words.  I see it a lot from people on FB as well.  They misuse the same words every single time.

However, this is a casual board and I would never correct anyone.  I have made some really stupid typing errors on this board because I'm in a hurry and don't bother to look my post over or don't catch it because I'm seeing it correctly.  

I always consider posters who continually correct others to just be a pain and coming off as a know it all.  

Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I thought this might be helpful to some.  I realize it just isn't important to some people, so just ignore if you feel this way.

fullsizeoutput_24e.jpeg

good reminder !  Helpful thread @NickNack !