Honored Contributor

Lose vs Loose

If someone writes about ‘Loosing’ Weight, Karma will jinx you & 

you’ll gain back the weight you apparently ‘loosed.’ Smiley Tongue

Insta Pot or Instapot

I know that’s a brand name issue, but the mistake is becoming

more visible due to the popularity of the item on social media.

It originally started as a FB group 10-so yrs ago...the first

social media site to have an open forum...and they misspelled

Instant Pot as InstaPot..and couldn’t be corrected...

and the misspelling continues to this day. 

I’ve seen this on social media...made me giggle:

D595250E-0D66-45D7-AB63-FF37EFDB1AB0.png

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom   I used to think that "Insta Pot" was the brand name until I acturally wanted on and did some research!

Honored Contributor

actually

New Contributor

Relate to this discussion. My principal called me “The Grammar Police”. Poor Grammar from teachers with there, their, they’re in the  lead!  However, the teacher who sent a request for students who were roll models for her club was that  principal’s pet. Also, the one who taught about italics and pronounced it it-a-licks!  Retiring June 7 th!

Trusted Contributor

Re: their there they're

[ Edited ]

One, won

One = the #1 OR he/she is the "one" - singular form

Won = past tense of "winning"

- Break, brake

Break = bust, broken

Brake = peddle to STOP

- Eight, ate

Eight = #8

Ate = past tense of "eaten"

In my line of work, I need to proofread often & see so many misuse of words .. just sayin'

- Road, rode

Road = street, hwy.

Rode - past tense of "riding"

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

And  please,  don't end that sentence in a preposition!!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@mimomof4   I never text.  If I ever do, I'll spell out all the words--I know people far younger than I am that do this--and I don't like abbreviations in business e-mail.  My rule of thumb for e-mail at work was would I use such and such in a formal business letter that would be mailed out via USPS?

If people think these abbreviations are helpful in saving time, i.e, keystrokes, they are wrong.  I had to go look up the meaning for "LMK" and if I am the recipient of that, or worse, an outside client, how much of an imposition is that?

Honored Contributor

Data is a plural word.

As in the data show that...

However, I make mistakes as I think we all do at one time or another.  Many of mine are not related to auto correct, however this one was!

Just yesterday my auto correct changed ‘specter’ to ‘Spector’ and I did not notice until > I posted.  Blush ☺️ 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a great post, @NickNack . I hope you don't get lectured from a few folks like I did a month or so ago who called me out for questioning the use of the word "of" instead of using "have", e.g., should have, could have, would have, instead of should of, could of and would of. I was told that I should concentrate on more important issues. Oh well....thanks for your post. 

Honored Contributor

I just don’t like the fact that this thread makes it seem like your fellows posters are, to put it mildly, dopes. Personally, I just don’t think it’s nice. 

But feel free to school all of us.