Honored Contributor

I thought this might be helpful to some.  I realize it just isn't important to some people, so just ignore if you feel this way.

fullsizeoutput_24e.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

We need a poster like this for "your" and "you're."

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the English refresher...it has been awhile!

Respected Contributor

That one, for some reason, manages to stick in my brain and I've never had a problem knowing which is correct.  What trips me up all these years is ITS ant IT'S.  I think I always get that wrong.

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  Thank you so much for this. I also have confusion with that, now if someone can explain To and Too ? 

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

@NickNack  Thank you so much for this. I also have confusion with that, now if someone can explain To and Too ? 

@godi   Too means also.  I like that too.  

I want to go to the store.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I have a tee shirt that says that. It's cool.

Honored Contributor

Fixed it.

01B05D33-CEF3-4EF7-91FA-5F039B17EC50.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Re: their there they're

[ Edited ]

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

That one, for some reason, manages to stick in my brain and I've never had a problem knowing which is correct.  What trips me up all these years is ITS ant IT'S.  I think I always get that wrong.

@PhilaLady1 

IT'S means IT IS. The apostrophe is a marker for the missing i. So, as you are writing, in your mind, see if IT IS works. 

Example: 

"It's beautiful" could be written as "It is beautiful."  Use IT'S.

-----------

ITS is a possessive word, like his and hers. So, as you are writing, in you mind, see if '"his"  works. If it does, use the possesive ITS.

Example:

"Its beauty was profound. " could be written as "His beauty was profound," so use ITS. "IT  IS beauty was profound" doesn't make sense, so you know that IT'S is wrong.

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

Too is used to imply intensity as in too much, too quickly, too long, too old, etc. There always needs to be an adjective after too since it shows intensity or excess.

To is used as in going to school, married to him. where I'm going to, etc.