Respected Contributor

I won't checkout paperback books because of the yuck factor. 

Respected Contributor

Re: the library is like

[ Edited ]

People, we all have an immune system. Don't become Howard Hughes.

Honored Contributor

@hgsuddle wrote:

As an employee in a public library, I can tell you that mine is still busy with older adults, kids of all ages, etc.  No one seems to have slowed their pace down here. I did have one woman ask me yesterday how we cleaned all our materials that were returned. I told her that we do nothing. She was appalled and said she was going to call our Main branch and complain. If she would like to volunteer to come in and clean them in her local branch, we would welcome her. LOL. We already (before this outbreak) clean our computers, chairs. door handles every morning before we open. That is the best we can do with all the materials that flow through daily.

As for the quietness of the library - that is for days gone by. We are not permitted to tell anyone to lower their voices unless another patron complains.  People talk on their phones. babies cry, etc. Even our study rooms are not soundproof enough. We have one gentleman who records a podcast in one room once a week and we had to ask him to come in on a day and time that is relatively quiet. People complained about his loud microphone. That is the best we can do. After one person complained about another man speaking too loudly on his cell phone (which I could hear from the very front of the library), I told him to please take his call outside. He groused at me and told me that librarians talk louder than anyone else in the library. LOL

@hgsuddle  We had a security guard in a library in our county killed because she told someone to turn down the music on their phone. 

It is not the greatest town so I'm assuming that’s why they had a guard. The patrons in the library subdued the guy and held him till police came.

Respected Contributor

Re: the library is like

[ Edited ]

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

We're still going about our business as usual, being careful to use sensible precautions. We haven't noticed a severe drop in attendance or participation at the gym, restaurants or entertainment providers. One thing I did notice when I was at BJ's Monday was the number of shoppers stocking up on multiple cases of bottled water. You would think the reservoirs had all dried up! So I bought a case of bottled water. Better safe than sorry! 

@Eileen in Virginia:  I'm in VA as well.  For 28 years I lived in N. VA and anytime there was any talk of a snow storm or crisis like this there would be nothing left on shelves.  In 2004 I moved to Culpeper and calls for snow storms or crisis like this - there was NEVER any panic.  Neighbors used to say that they'd always been able to get out in a day and a half after snow. and that shelves get restocked fast - they were right. 

I'm in Fredericksburg now and I was at Walmart yesterday bc I had a prescription refill ready and the shelves were well stocked.  I'm not sure if they had seen any run on supplies and shelves were refilled.  They had brought in pallets of bottled water and I never saw anyone grabbing those.  It's so weird -it's like when ppl leave the DC corridor and move farther out the attitude seems to be "ah, you'll live" or "we've been through something similar in the past and we always got through it".  It's funny bc depending upon where I lived as to whether I played into the hoarding fears or went with the flow living more rural.   

Respected Contributor

I have had a kindle for a few years now but I can remember checking out books from the library.  I always wondered if they read them on the toilet or sneezed on them, etc etc.  Now with this virus going around never would I go in there.

Respected Contributor

@Financialgrl wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

We're still going about our business as usual, being careful to use sensible precautions. We haven't noticed a severe drop in attendance or participation at the gym, restaurants or entertainment providers. One thing I did notice when I was at BJ's Monday was the number of shoppers stocking up on multiple cases of bottled water. You would think the reservoirs had all dried up! So I bought a case of bottled water. Better safe than sorry! 

@Eileen in Virginia:  I'm in VA as well.  For 28 years I lived in N. VA and anytime there was any talk of a snow storm or crisis like this there would be nothing left on shelves.  In 2004 I moved to Culpeper and calls for snow storms or crisis like this - there was NEVER any panic.  Neighbors used to say that they'd always been able to get out in a day and a half after snow. and that shelves get restocked fast - they were right. 

I'm in Fredericksburg now and I was at Walmart yesterday bc I had a prescription refill ready and the shelves were well stocked.  I'm not sure if they had seen any run on supplies and shelves were refilled.  They had brought in pallets of bottled water and I never saw anyone grabbing those.  It's so weird -it's like when ppl leave the DC corridor and move farther out the attitude seems to be "ah, you'll live" or "we've been through something similar in the past and we always got through it".  It's funny bc depending upon where I lived as to whether I played into the hoarding fears or went with the flow living more rural.   

@Financialgrl  Yes, it seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy here. Although it's gotten better than it was when we moved here 40+ years ago, a big part of the problem is that the local jurisdictions still aren't set up to handle snowstorms effectively. So they plow the main commuter roads, but the neighborhoods are on their own. Our street's usually plowed within a day of the snow stopping. It may be a coincidence that we have a state delegate living at the top of the street. I hope she never moves! 🤞🏻

When I went to BJ's this morning for my weekly shopping trip, there was a sign on the door that they'd limit the purchase of Purell, hand wipes, etc. to 2 per member due to increased demand. There wasn't any on the shelves - just empty spaces. 

I'm taking my Aunt out to lunch tomorrow. The restaurant is usually packed at lunchtime. We'll see if this holds true tomorrow. 

Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

a  ghost town.  iam workingthe lateshift and i have had no patron to speak of.  usually this  place is full of people.it has been this way all week.

i think people are just staying home.

Its a week after this original post. I think now, if your library is a ghost town, all the people are at Wal Mart and Kroger. I have never seen such a sight.

Trusted Contributor

They should close when parents bring their kids in with snotty noses and it gets all over everything.  I am sure said parent thinks it is cute. Barf!

Trusted Contributor

Our library in Baltimore Co is closing after Sunday for 2 weeks.

I think all of Marylands Libraries will close like the schools for 2 weeks.

It will be hard for people in my building. We have a lot of voracious readers.

Contributor
@CelticCrafter. Me too! Who knows where people's hands have been?! Let's face it, personal hygiene habits are not at the forefront of daily routines for an extremely large portion of the world population, and hasn't been for a very long time! I have never purchased anything used, has to be brand new always, no matter what I'm buying. My books I give to family members when finished. They in turn donate them to charity auctions, and are kept in excellent condition.