Respected Contributor

Chicago chiming in, it's pop not soda, downtown is the Loop, the Lake is Lake Michigan, What Parish (or neighborhood, we all have names) do you live in, Cubs or Sox, South or West Side Irish, so many more, I'll have to think on it................

Respected Contributor

My mother is from NJ, and when we first moved out West (when I was 2), she went to the market and asked for "chop meat" and everyone stared at her like she had two heads.

Also, every female in my family while I was growing up said "pocketbook" not "purse" or "bag."

I always said "soda" but I remember for awhile when I was young (about 10 or so) everyone called any type of carbonated drink a "Coke."  "Let's go get some Cokes" could refer to Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, etc.

Those are a couple things I remember.  I was born in NJ, grew up in Arizona, but spent every summer until I was 18 in NJ.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

When I was little, before there were things like cell phones, video, etc., we used to make cassette tapes and talk on them, then mail them back to my grandparents in NJ.

My  mom did this especially with the kids, so that my relatives back East could hear my siblings and me talk.

My mom would talk on them, and her NJ accent was quite pronounced.  We laugh at it now.

I think she's lost it, but it comes back pretty quickly when she's talking to friends from NJ or relatives.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Trusted Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

From  NYC..."stoop" is the front steps....

"the Ell" is the elevated subway that runs on suspended tracks...(You take the Ell to......"

From NJ..."Down the shore"...means visiting the seashore....."We went down the shore for the summmah..."

Pittsburgh......they drop the words "to be"....as in "It needs cleaned up" ...or "The streets need plowed" ....

....and "youins"  for (loosely) "you guys....

@Othereeeen  Yes, I like to go "down the shore".

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Respected Contributor

When I was a teenager my girlfriend was dating guy from Ohio. We live in RI. He always asked us to say "park the car". It was quite different the way he said it.

Honored Contributor

@newjerseygirl wrote:

@Othereeeen wrote:

From  NYC..."stoop" is the front steps....

"the Ell" is the elevated subway that runs on suspended tracks...(You take the Ell to......"

From NJ..."Down the shore"...means visiting the seashore....."We went down the shore for the summmah..."

Pittsburgh......they drop the words "to be"....as in "It needs cleaned up" ...or "The streets need plowed" ....

....and "youins"  for (loosely) "you guys....

@Othereeeen  Yes, I like to go "down the shore".

I grew up "down the shore"! 

Trusted Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

When someone says, "I'm from Jersey," l get a kick out of that-- it's regional slang. People don't say "l'm from York," or "l'm from Hampshire." Woman Happy

@handygal2..Oh, I hate that one! My husband says "Jersey" as do a great many people, but I can't stand it-Smiley Happy I am from "Jersey" born and bred but I always use the "New". I don't know why it bothers me so much.

Trusted Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

My mother is from NJ, and when we first moved out West (when I was 2), she went to the market and asked for "chop meat" and everyone stared at her like she had two heads.

Also, every female in my family while I was growing up said "pocketbook" not "purse" or "bag."

I always said "soda" but I remember for awhile when I was young (about 10 or so) everyone called any type of carbonated drink a "Coke."  "Let's go get some Cokes" could refer to Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, etc.

Those are a couple things I remember.  I was born in NJ, grew up in Arizona, but spent every summer until I was 18 in NJ.

@Marienkaefer2...I also grew up saying pocketbook and chop meat-Smiley Happy I'm from central NJ.

Esteemed Contributor

Those of us in Philly also go "down the shore", and I can't remember the last time I used the word "New" when referring to "Jersey".  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I live in NY right on the border. We always say "going to Jersey",  "headed to Jersey for gas", etc.