Honored Contributor

Re: "You need to learn to relax"... what does that even mean?

I'm a little bit like you in that I can't ignore situations in which something needs to be done. I wish I could sit and read, but I can't if there is housework or yard work that needs to be done. I try to do things in the morning and find some time in the afternoon to read or take a walk. @house_cat  I think some people are wired with a need to work hard and stay busy. You probably can't change, but you might try to back off and see if you can relax.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04  wrote 

@Sage04 wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

I do understand!  I can do nothing, read, go for a walk, shop or window shop, sip a drink, sit and rock!...It doesn't matter how "calm" I might look, my insides are still churning!  "Learn to relax!"  Fake it 'til you make it doesn't do it!

Sometimes, I silently chant, "There is nothing you can change in the next 12 hours.  Be calm for now!"

@Zhills  what? There is nothing you can change in 12 hours? I'm usually calm but can't relax. At my physical exams my Dr would ask me to relax and I would say "but I am" and she would laugh and say "you are not".

I'm the type of person that could throw a party together in an hour. I keep reminding my family that I am a "middle child" and I can't help it. I'm always there when needed but at the same time I'm happy, and that's what counts.

@Sage04  I wrote, "there is nothing you can change in the NEXT 12 hours."  Talking about bedtime and nobody you need to contact is awake!!!!!

I am an Aries and an over-achiever also.  Just often find my body doing one thing and my mind doing

2 or 3. 

I've read that you can't think of more than one thing at a time.  Maybe that person can't; this person certainly can!

I don't think I ever completely "turn off."

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@Sage04  wrote 

@Sage04 wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

I do understand!  I can do nothing, read, go for a walk, shop or window shop, sip a drink, sit and rock!...It doesn't matter how "calm" I might look, my insides are still churning!  "Learn to relax!"  Fake it 'til you make it doesn't do it!

Sometimes, I silently chant, "There is nothing you can change in the next 12 hours.  Be calm for now!"

@Zhills  what? There is nothing you can change in 12 hours? I'm usually calm but can't relax. At my physical exams my Dr would ask me to relax and I would say "but I am" and she would laugh and say "you are not".

I'm the type of person that could throw a party together in an hour. I keep reminding my family that I am a "middle child" and I can't help it. I'm always there when needed but at the same time I'm happy, and that's what counts.

@Sage04  I wrote, "there is nothing you can change in the NEXT 12 hours."  Talking about bedtime and nobody you need to contact is awake!!!!!

I am an Aries and an over-achiever also.  Just often find my body doing one thing and my mind doing

2 or 3. 

I've read that you can't think of more than one thing at a time.  Maybe that person can't; this person certainly can!

I don't think I ever completely "turn off."

@Zhills  I'm a Taurus and a middle child and that's all I will say lol

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some people want to know if you ask a question and answer yourself. Yes I do and that's why while everyone is alseep and I'm awake I can answer my own question because I am smart and I know the answer.

Also if i plan things while i can't sleep,  I get a whole lot done going forward.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 

January 20 - on the cusp of Capricorn and Aquarius

Like you, I do a lot of thinking when other people are asleep. I can wake up in the middle of the night and lesson plan or menu plan or worry myself silly without ever getting out of bed.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Sage04 

January 20 - on the cusp of Capricorn and Aquarius

Like you, I do a lot of thinking when other people are asleep. I can wake up in the middle of the night and lesson plan or menu plan or worry myself silly without ever getting out of bed.

@house_cat  you are another "ME" Isn't that something? I'm April 22nd, but we are just alike. Who needs all that sleep? I would wake up in the middle of the night and put everything in order. It makes it so much easier. Everything is in place. I didn't realize other people did that also. Oh boy!!

If others did this, they would find that it makes things run smoothly and in order. I will never change because I get things done.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 

Surely, you don't really recommend that pattern of behavior for everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@Sage04 

Surely, you don't really recommend that pattern of behavior for everyone!

@Zhills  no not at all.

Valued Contributor

"DO WHAT YOU CAN

WHERE YOU ARE

WITH WHAT YOU HAVE."

Then RELAX. 

Valued Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

QVC hosts are on "frantic" speed.  Don't watch them.  Don't listen to them.  Don 't look at some of them.  Hot mess.  

WOW!!  Lately when I have the TV on for background NOISE I feel my skull vibrating. It's those darn QVC hosts blathering and speed talking and shrieking and hooting as fast as they can, often in groups of 2 or 4. YIKES!  Plus the Tone is pushy, demanding, stern even bullying to LISTEN UP PEOPLE YOU NEED TO BUY THIS NOWWW CUZ WE SAY SO!!  IT'S THE BEST THING EVER AND WE ONLY HAVE SIX THOUSAND LEFT BY MIDNIGHT AT THIS SPECIAL PRICE!!  

I feel like sending them all some tranquilizers. WHY do they all sound so ANGRY??

I can't even go into their abuse of the English language  - last night SK said about a face cream:  " OMG!! .Look at her face how it's tightened!! It's actually EGREGIOUS to see that change!,,".  Plus the over-enunciation of everyyy worrddd.  Time to MUTE. 

thanks for letting me vent - I really miss the old times of the Q shows.