Esteemed Contributor

Re: "The horrible heat wave "

@tends2dogs   I wish I could tolerate the heat now like I did then.  The last couple of days I haven't felt good and it's the heat.  The old body can't take it.

Respected Contributor

@JYWilliams wrote:

My AC is working good but the power went off several times Saturday and Sunday.

I cringe whenever I see expected storms in my area bc I'm in the burbs of Wash DC and if I lose power I'm not sure I'd be able to stay in the house bc it doesn't take long for the heat and humidity to make it pretty unbearable inside.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

oops duplicate post

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I was just reading about a 11 day long heat wave in the Northeast (PA to Maine) back in 1911 where it took the lives of up to 2000 people (not to mention horses, pets and livestock).

The temps rose so fast that people gathered at thermometers to watch the mercury rise and some in the crowds passed out from heat exhaustion standing there.  In Rhode Island, the temp went up 11 degrees in less than 30 mins.  

People slept on their rooftops and would roll over in their sleep and fall to their deaths. 

Over 200 people drowned while trying to cool off in rivers, lakes, ponds and the ocean.  Ferries would operate round the clock and free of charge just so people could ride it for a little comfort.

People even began committing suicide because of the heat.

I was surprised at the pictures of men dressed in suits with hats on and women in long dresses---as bad as the heat was!  

Honored Contributor

I was very happy this morning when I woke up to drizzle.  Right now it is 61 degrees with a very light drizzle.  I am on the West Coast so it is 10:30 am.  High today is predicted to be 75.  

Respected Contributor

@hckynut I would literally die without the AC. I purchased the necklace fans and , I need them also.