Honored Contributor

Re: "The horrible heat wave "

My husband replaced our nieces a/c yesterday for them.  They had been away, had it set up high while they were gone and came home to find it died.

He's a retired HVAC contractor and still has his connections to be able to get the equipment.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Don't know how you don't turn on a/c @hckynut !!!! We've had a very hot/humid 10 days and another week ahead with heat advisories because of the humidity putting it over  105. 

Since I have to visit my granddaughters outside, we dragged a huge box fan from my studio and a revolving tower fan on the porch to try to make it somewhat bearable. 

@Shanus 

I worked in a plant that was 95° on a cool day. Working around machines that melt plastic had heaters that were set a 500°. Thermometers we had to use to check the quality of the wires I made, only went up to 120°, and that is usually where they stayed.

Go home, get on my running shorts, and out in the heat i would go for my running mileage. Close to 30 years working in that kind of heat acclimated my body to handle heat. Main thing was keeping hydrated, thus drank lots and lots of good ole H2o.

Guess even though my body is old, heat I am not all that concerned about. Still drink lots of water so sweating is what I am still used to doing. Sweat/fan blowing lots or air/moisture evaporates= cooling.

Now that is why my wife stays where we have the portable AC unit. Before this virus, most of the summer days she was Pet Sitting in houses with AC, so she wasn't home a lot.

Now? It's either the portable AC in her bedroom, or the AC in our patio room. Since we both are on fixed incomes that is a choice we both made. She always worked in offices, and get her to run? Not her thing so that was that.

Cooler today, but still not cool. 

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

It's hot as the blazes here and I had to turn on both my ovens to cook some stuff today so bad planning on my part.  I'm trying to keep lights off at night so we don't heat up any more.  I ran the ceiling fan last night on high and slept great.  I had the ac on too, of course.

Honored Contributor

I abhor the heat and every year we seem to have longer summers and less cool/cold weather.  Plus, I'm noticing in recent years that the humidity, which was always traditionally VERY low (unless it's precipitating) has been higher in general.  We used to see humidity in the teens or lower when it's hot and now I see a lot of 40% and up.  Now, I know that's not high for some places but part of the reason I stayed here when I was at a crossroad decades ago was that I loved the climate we had here.

It would be cold from Sept through April.  Now it's pretty much the opposite, so I'm hating it about 2/3 of the year.   We've never had fleas up here and I'm just hoping that that doesn't change.  As for bugs in general, now I will see a few flies and sometimes bees as late as January!   That's just freaky because all the bugs would be gone until Spring each year and then gone again before winter begins.

Good thing for a/c, right?  Smiley Happy   I don't think our unit is large enough for our house but I do everything I can to mediate and keep it as cool as possible.  Since my immune deficiency disorder began my ability to deal with heat has gotten exponentially worse.   

One thing that helps me, aside from the central a/c, is this neck towel thing I have.  It's Mission brand, IIRC.  You put it under cold water until it's wet through, then wring it out and snap it a couple of times before putting it around your neck like a scarf.  I put the ends under my clothing in the front (nice and cold for a moment!) and it helps so much to keep me cooler. 

Esteemed Contributor

I can't believe that up until I was 50 I would take my bottle of Hawaiian Tropic, grease up and sit/lay in this weather. I could stay out for a couple of hours in my yard, longer if I was at my BIL/SIL's pool.

I 1995 I went to FL in July and sat out.  The guy next to my friends house thought I was just a crazy lady from up North.

Valued Contributor

@hckynut  Wow. I find it hard to imagine. I think some people's chemistry or background or whatever it is tend to be acclimated toward liking or disliking heat. Or even being able to tolerate it or not. I for one would not have been able to tolerate the factory conditions you describe for one day. I am heat intolerant and always have been. My face turns bright red, I sweat in over drive which means all of my body is constantly wet. I have to wear sweat bands to stop the sweat from running into my eye's and down my neck, even though they are not fashionable anymore. In your factory conditions who knows how many I would blow through in a shift. But I wouldn't make it that far. I'd probably faint or throw up long before the shift ended. I've long observed that some people love love the heat, and those are people that can tolerate it. 

I think the arrangement you and your wife have is terrific!

Esteemed Contributor

I love the heat.  We just returned to our northern home after spending 9 months in the south.  I sat outside everyday and read a book in 95 to 100 degrees with high tropical humidity.  Your body aclimates.  If it dips below 75, we are freezing.  We keep our AC at 80.  

Here in the north they are having a heatwave. (???)  Everyone is complaining and it is 82.  Alas, these are the same people who whined all winter because it was too cold.

I told my DH while sitting outside having our evening cocktail last night, "the first orange leaf I see, we are heading south".  Woman EmbarassedWoman Wink 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I am that crazy lady from up north, @CrazyKittyLvr2 .  I sit outside everyday.  I swear that I am a solar panel and that I have to recharge my battery on a daily basis.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@BeccaLou  Our weather man says we are now "cooking with gas in north Mississippi."    The ac is being put through its paces everyday along with ceiling fans here.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

It's hot as the blazes here and I had to turn on both my ovens to cook some stuff today so bad planning on my part.  I'm trying to keep lights off at night so we don't heat up any more.  I ran the ceiling fan last night on high and slept great.  I had the ac on too, of course.

@Snoopp 

Have you thought of changing to LED lights when your others burn out? They do not throw out any heat, and in our kitchen it makes a big difference, and we have no AC in there.

I decided to change ours all out once the prices of the LED became reasonable. I know our outdoor halogen floodlights I used to replace at least every year.

I went to LED about 3 years ago and haven't replaced any of them yet. Plus they come in different Kelvin temperatures. The higher the number the brighter the light. I use 5000k for all our outside lights because they really light up a big area, and are a bright white.

I also use a 100 watt equivalent with a 5000k in my basement gym. I want it bright white. You also can buy then I  1-2-3-4k, and soft lighting, and lower watt equivalent use.

Anyways!

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)