Honored Contributor

Re: "Really wondering "

[ Edited ]

@BeccaLou 

It has been my experience that people with hearing loss will do this as a way to deflect what they are not catching from the conversation.   

My 86 year old mother is doing this more and more as her hearing loss and dementia progress.   I also have a BIL who does this; his family said it was a nervous habit, I said he needed a hearing test.  He finally had a hearing test, but his issue is beyond help from a hearing aid.   

Trusted Contributor

I knew someone like that and it was really strange. Then I found out that she could not hear well and didn't know how to respond when people spoke to her, so she just laughed. I feel bad for her now but she didn't want to accept help for a hearing loss. 

Respected Contributor

No, she laughs at everything. Like a just crazy laugh. And then she will say I not laughing at what you said, I am laughing at the way you said it. But it's constant and annoying. And then she will say it is so true what you , and I am just baffled at her.Even sad things that I am going through.

Respected Contributor

As time goes on she is getting more wacky. I am deperate I guess, I am lonely just lost my husband.

Respected Contributor

Of course it must be me . ???

Trusted Contributor

@BeccaLou So sorry to hear you lost your husband - thinking about you.

But your friend ... I don't think it's you - it's something your friend is going through & you just have to ask yourself is it worth it for you to have this friend or not ... 

And if not, it's okay.

Take good care,

Honored Contributor

Re: "Really wondering "

[ Edited ]

I had an Aunt like that. She would laugh after every thing she said and what others said, even if not funny.  She wasnt being mean or insensitive.

Seemed like a nervous habit!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

Now this friend is saying WoW !!s after every convesasion . But she seems not to be aware of a simple conversation about anything. Don't know what to make of it. Could be demencia I think.