Honored Contributor

Believe it has to do with nervousness.  Called a nervous laugh.  I had a girl in class one time and she did that.  Once someone mentioned nervous, it was easier to understand and cut her more slack.  Understanding that might be it, I no longer noticed a laugh.  Funny how that worked.

Honored Contributor

It would seem to me that either they aren't listening, they lack empathy, they are rude, or all three!

Honored Contributor

Some people do have a nervous laugh.  I knew a womaon who did and even when talking about a death in the family.  We all knew it was just a tic, and really didn't blame her for it.  She just talked that way.  

Honored Contributor

Perhaps you make her uncomfortable resulting in a nervous laugh.

Respected Contributor

I'd venture a guess that the person is very insecure and wanting to be liked and accepted by laughing, making you feel that you are very entertaining to her.

Trusted Contributor

@BeccaLou 

I have two good friends, both wonderful women, who punctuate their sentences with laughs.

I have just felt it is a nervous habit.  But in all honesty, I wish they didn't laugh so much.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's a nervous condition. You can't blame her for this.

Honored Contributor

I think some people have a nervous laugh.  One lady with whom I work is as sweet as pie.  When she is in a meeting and talking, every time she finishes speaking she ends it with a little giggle.  It's more cute than it is annoying, but she doesn't do it in a one-on-one setting, so I think maybe it's just nerves.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Not knowing the people involved, I cannot judge it but I do agree with others that some people just have a nervous tic type thing that makes them laugh inappropriately.

On a similar vein to that what used to get my goat was when people are talking by typing and everything is LOL this and LOL that and LOL LOL LOL.  yikes!  For that reason, it's one that I've never used.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't like it.  I would ask them, particularly if what I am saying has a serious context to it, why are you laughing????? That's not normal if a person laughs at everything someone else says.  Perhaps this person is not comfortable having a one on one conversation with another person and is nervous or anxious interacting.  It's hard to tell what the reason is but I would have to ask, because my inclination would be to be annoyed or offended by this.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin