Honored Contributor

Re: " New normal" might include higher prices

I'm sure I'm not saying anything new, but after months of lost income, the additional cost of sanitation, probably operating at lower capacity, most barbers, salons, spas, etc. will have to raise prices.  It's understandable to me.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@deevaI do expect price increases.  Think how much cleaning products just for our homes cost all the time and even though I'm here by myself, I'm spending more to disinfect than I usually do.  Businesses will definitely be impacted. More product, more time to clean which earns them no money, etc.

I have no idea when my hair dresser will open, but if she needs to charge more, I'll be looking for the money. That barber is going up a huge percentage -  maybe he hadn't raised prices for a long time and now really needs to?

Honored Contributor

There definitely will be price gouging going on.  It will be time to shop around.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@millieshops 

Yeah, the price hasn't increased in five years.

And last year the barber wanted to sell the shop. So I'm sure that factored into the decision.

Honored Contributor

I expect all prices, especially among small business owners, to go up significantly.  They have lost income for at least 6 weeks and probably longer.  I don't blame them for trying to recoup some of that income.

We go to Supercuts for our haircuts.  Not sure why they can't reopen but when they do I intend to give the operator a much larger tip than I normally would and I expect the price to go up.

Honored Contributor

From a hairdressers point of view.  Haircuts are expensive.  Actually it is more difficult to give a guy a short hair cut than it is to cut longer hair.  If you make an Oops...it is visible.

The barber is paying rent and utilities in addition to other supplies to keep the shop open.  Since the shops have been closed for weeks, the shop probably has a huge rent bill that was unpaid, insurance for the shop and liability, etc.

Just because the shop is closed doesn't forgive the monthly bills.  Also, there are going to be less customers every day which means less income.  

Many of these small business need to raise their prices to stay afloat and many will permanently close or file for bankruptcy.

Some people don't mind a bad haircut, others do.  You might go someplace else to save money, but you might get a bad hair cut in doing so.

Respected Contributor

I sent my hairdresser what I would normally pay for a cut and color last week.  I will not be going back until something dramatic changes.  The "peak" only means we all actually stayed home.  

Nothing else has slowed the virus down.

Go back and that all goes away, especially since 95% have not caught the virus yet. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I think that's a given.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

My son owns a Comic Book shop. He owns the store, he doesn't pay rent but must pay the mortgage. It's in a very upscale area. 
  In addition to utilities there's a business organization and he has to pay his share of upkeep on the whole center!

They just paved the parking lot, $$$$. Landscaping and it's maintenance and snow removal. Repair on heating, air conditioning, etc. 

He has to sell a lot of books to pay for it all and hope to make some money. He hasn't even had shipments since the pandemic started. He closed and has done some mail orders. 
   AND, He can't raise the prices of books that he has prepaid, nor would he. This is a nightmare for us all, especially small business owners.

He has let his hair grow and looks like a Hippie, probably won't get it cut. 
    I cut my own.

Honored Contributor

Prices will absolutely sky rocket on travel, all services, and groceries. They will want to make up for losses. We ain't seen nothing yet, many people will have to make lifestyle changes and learn to go without many things they once enjoyed. Wonder what will happen with home and car purchases. This will greatly impact retirees as well as those with families.