Respected Contributor

"How to Retire Happily for Under a Million Dollars"

Saw this article on MSN - had to laugh - if I waited till I had a million before I retired - I'd be dead before I had a chance!  I'm happy as a lamb and living on a very small hill of beans. 

Valued Contributor

Re: "How to Retire Happily for Under a Million Dollars"

I can't imagine retiring at all. I'm the one weirdo that actually loves what I do.
I don't know what, on Earth, I would do "retired".
I hate to travel, don't like golf, don't knit or sew (or pretty much any other craft) and there is only so much hiking one can do.
For those that are retired, what do you do?

Respected Contributor

@Quse@hoosieroriginal  Still working full-time at 68.  I could retire, but like Quse said, I'm not ready for it yet.  I need a reason to get up in the morning (I would prefer to sleep another hour, however).  BTW, Hoosier, I'm still working on that first million!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Quse  Many of us had to do very difficult physical work and your body does not allow that forever. If I worked in an office I may have kept going for a while but I was on my feet for 12 hours a day  , plus on call , lifting patients etc not to mention high stress and mentally hard work all day , every day.

Good for you that you enjoy your work - I was totally burned out in mine.

Respected Contributor

Quse    Hang out. Just kidding?

Honored Contributor

As for needing a million dollars to retire - that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Practically no one would ever make it to retirement ! 

My advice to someone getting ready to retire is to be mindful that your income is probably going to be about half or less than it was when you worked. Put your savings with a broker who specializes in retirement accts.

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Quse  Many of us had to do very difficult physical work and your body does not allow that forever. If I worked in an office I may have kept going for a while but I was on my feet for 12 hours a day  , plus on call , lifting patients etc not to mention high stress and mentally hard work all day , every day.

Good for you that you enjoy your work - I was totally burned out in mine.

@151949I totally get that. I've worked very physical jobs too and my body told me when it was time to move on. Really liked those jobs too, but physically couldn't do it anymore.
I've also had jobs where I hated them so badly that I would come back from vacation and plan my next one immediately. I guess I "retired" from those and am now blessed to do something I like. If this ever stops, for whatever reason, I'd likely do something else.
I've pretty much done this my whole working life...had 1 steady, ful ltime job for years, and a few part time ones that come and go. I love learning new things and where I've worked have all been COMPLETELY different industries. It's why reunions, parties,etc...are no fun....the dreaded question: "So, what do you do?" I just laugh and say, "I pencil in 'get up', the rest is a free-for-all!"
There is no title that could encompass that...Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

I'm working and I don't live high on the hog, so to speak.   I don't take vacations (I do take off days), I don't have expensive hobbies.    But I do have family, kids, grandkids and I do have friends & cousins that I'd like to stay in touch with.   

You don't have to "do" anything when you retire.   I plan to only work 1 more year and I'm going to retire.

And I won't have $1mil!!

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Saw this article on MSN - had to laugh - if I waited till I had a million before I retired - I'd be dead before I had a chance!  I'm happy as a lamb and living on a very small hill of beans. 

Valued Contributor

@Catiele wrote:

Quse    Hang out. Just kidding?

@CatieleLol. I do that too, but tend to get into trouble if I do that too long...Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

I retired in 2010.  I worked until I was 68 to be sure my Social Security, Retirement and 401(k) (and my savings) were at a level that would provide me a decent income in retirement.  I'm actually better off now than when I was working.  My normal expenses are so much lower.

What do I do all day?  Get up and have a leisurely breakfast.  My morning exercises and a long bubble bath.  Then get dressed .. do my hair.    I have regular "events" on my calendar that take up several hours a couple of days a week.  Even my weekends are busy.  My friends are all retired ... always someething going on.  

Add in all the normal chores ... shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry ...