Respected Contributor

Re: " How Do I Get Lawn Care ?"

I would contact your Chamber of Commerce.

Honored Contributor

The ones who are tormenting you about our lawn should be recommending someone to maintain your lawn. I know how upsetting it is to not be happy with how your lawn looks and not being able to do it yourself....if you are in a manufactured home park the park management should have someone they can call to take care of it. No, you don't have to move. Take care of yourself and don't stress. Let those who are complaining help offer a solution instead of being a problem.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had an awful time trying to find someone to mow my mother's lawn.  I don't live close enough to do it.  I signed up for nextdoor and found a teenager to do it.  His mother was my note and volunteered him for the job.  He lived too far to walk, but his father drove him over and waited. 

Another option I tried was Amazon.  They have a page with services on their website.  They don't offer services for everything in every area.  They listed lawn mowing for my mother's area, but it didn't work out.  Amazon told me to have it mowed, send in the receipt and they'd reimburse me.  I just moved on.

Respected Contributor

Ask the neighbors, and if you see a yard man working on a neighbor’s yard, ask him to do yours. My mother found her new yardman because he was doing the house across the street.

Respected Contributor

This was my first call. Got no where with that attempt either.

Contributor

Here are a couple more options that no one has mentioned:

Watch the workers who are already coming into your community to see who is doing good work and go talk to them in person while they are working.  If it is a work crew, there will usually be a foreman in charge of the crew that you will want to talk to.

Contact your local churches to see if they have a ministry or know an individual that would be willing to take care of your yard.  Some churches have special programs set up to help senior citizens, single moms, the disabled or others who need some extra help with their cars or property.  

Contact your local Scouting or other youth/citizen/civic organizations to see if any of their participants or volunteers take care of individual yards as part of a service project or for a fee.

My elderly mother lives in a manufactured home senior community in the Pacific Northwest and she has had a couple of handymen over the years that have maintained her property.  She found them by referrals from neighbors.  

Make sure that whoever you use provides references and get someone to help you get a background check on them.  If they are a commercial business, they should also have insurance, as accidents can happen when working with lawn equipment.  

One would think that whoever runs your neighborhood and that is hassling you about getting the work done would have the names of people/services willing to do the work.  They should provide assistance to the residents in taking care of basic functions.  

Best of good luck to you!  

Respected Contributor

I do to, but something is strange they don't stay around very long. Most of my neighbors are scared if you ask questions. It never was like before.They act like your a scammer. The world is allscared and don't share.

Respected Contributor

The kids asked me , and he was 14 years old , in the beginning he worked out some what but over time he turned out to be sloppy and he just was nasty acting. And couln't count on him. But he tried to say I jipped him , and wanted more money and didn't even do what he agreed to .

Respected Contributor

I can 't always afford their rates. We are Seniors and have to watch money.And I am afraid of careless people and would like to see the person's quality of work. And that isn't always possible. Every ones yard is over grown and I haven't seen anyone even the park maintenance people. Butt it keeps raining.And references can be fudged by anyone.I would prefer a group of workers and not just one worker. And reliable.

Contributor

Becca Lou, do you have any relatives or friends who could help you?  Especially someone who has some legal knowledge or experience, or has to get things done in the business world?  Sadly, sometimes it takes someone with a firm personality to work through the obstacles.  Times have changed, and not so many people are service oriented these days, and it is just more difficult to get things done.  My husband and I notice this all the time.  

So many businesses are driven now by social media, especially negative reviews, so if you are not active in that world, they won't pay much attention to your needs.  If your friend or family member knows how to navigate the social media world, that would be helpful.  

As another poster suggested, if you could band together with other residents of your community to get someone to maintain all your properties, you might have more success.  There is strength in numbers.  And more incentive for a service to come out and take care of you all at the same time.

It sounds like it is not just lawn care that you need, but snow removal also.  

Many of the landscaping crews that serve our area don't take their trimmings with them, but leave them in bags on the curb for the city waste workers to pick up one day a week.  It sounds like your community has a community waste collection area, but they don't want yard debris left there.  Perhaps as you are working to find someone to service your lawn, you could arrange for them to take with waste with them for a small extra fee.  They probably have to pay to take waste to the dump or recycling center.  

Another thought for finding someone to do the work for you is a local neighborhood hardware, feed or gardening store.  They might be able to recommend someone they know personally.  

Whatever you do, be super careful and don't take chances trying to do the work yourself, you or your husband.  It is so easy to have an accident, sometimes so difficult to recover.