Respected Contributor

Re: " How Do I Get Lawn Care ?"

Do you have something like Angie’s List in your area? I have found reliable companies that way.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou are you calling a lawn company or a guy that cuts lawns?

If you are calling a guy....try a lawn company, they would probably be more reliable.  We have several in our town and they seem to have a great business, I see them  all over town, cutting residental lawns as well as business lawns.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try calling Home Advisor. They are listed online and they have negotiated with local people that provide home services. Of course, I can’t vouch for the companies Home Adivsor has with them. You will have to ask Home Advisor how they vet their associated businesses.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Try calling Home Advisor. They are listed online and they have negotiated with local people that provide home services. Of course, I can’t vouch for the companies Home Adivsor has with them. You will have to ask Home Advisor how they vet their associated businesses.

I have had terrible experiences with Home Advisor.  Then I was told that the vendors pay for advertising on that site.  I have had the best of luck using nextdoor.com where my neighbors recommend various vendors for all kinds of jobs that a homeowner would need.  Almost all of the recommendations are for the firemen in the area.  As they work a 24 hour shift and then are off 48, they have small LLC's to fill in the days they are not at the fire house.  Win-win for me.

Trusted Contributor

Do you have a senior center? Maybe you could try calling them and see if they know of anyone. They are usually very helpful. 

I found someone on Craig's list to do my Mom's lawn, I know that is risky but it worked out well for us. 

Super Contributor

Have you thought about getting rid of your lawn? It's not the best for the environment, if you care?

Respected Contributor

@BeccaLou   I understand your problem and agree how difficult it can be to find help.  I have recently used both Angie's List and Home Advisor in looking for help with maintaining my lawn. Through each of them I sent out at least a dozen requests for quotes, but received very few responses from either.  The few that did respond were either out of area or already booked for the season.  

As you've been advised, there is a website called Nextdoor(dot)com.  I just joined but am not convinced it's going to work out for me as, even though I put heavy limitations on the range of area from which I want to receive, my email's Inbox is already stuffed.

What worked for me was keeping an eye out for work being done in neighbors' yards.  I walked over to one, introduced myself and asked him for a quote to mow my lawn.  His price was right and, as I had seen his work, I hired him.  

Maintenance and upkeep of your home can be a struggle when you're alone.  I wish you the best results in your search for help.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Gee I wish you lived near us.  We have pickup trucks with trailers loaded with mowers and equipment driving up and down our street all the time.  A lot of these folks are retired and have a full lawn service during the spring, summer, and fall to supplement their income and just to have something to do. 

Good luck and I am sorry you are having such a difficult time finding reliable sources to mow your lawn.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou  Try Nextdoor.com.  See if there is one in your neighborhood.

Honored Contributor

Who are you asking, neighborhood children?  Call a professional lawn service.