Honored Contributor

Re: " How Do I Get Lawn Care ?"

@BeccaLou wrote:

Who would be the neighborhood network ?

I'm not sure - maybe an HOA?  Do you have the app Next Door?  It is great for getting referrals for service people in your area.  If not, I'd just start Googling your zip code and "lawn service" and email a few to ask for estimates and to ask any questions you have.

Respected Contributor

Monday I called around to senior centers. And I was given a number for the V.A. because my husband is a veteran, and that seemed promiseing, now they never show up to give us and estimate and never called to say why they never showed up for the appontment. That was last night. Today my husband called and always gets a voice mail. And he asked to them to call either way so we can move forward and looks some more. I was given good references by the man at the V.A.and so I felt like this was something promising. I don't know what to think.

Respected Contributor

What is APP Nextdoor ?And yes I have googled lawn services . And these were supposed to best in the area . No luck with that either. And prices keep getting steeper. I don't care if they do a great job and it looks really nice when they are done. I don't really want to hire kids anymore they are lazy , unreliable, and think they should be paid 5 to 10 $"s just to sweep the side  walk. HELP !!! 

Respected Contributor

you can go to nextdoor.com enter your zipcode & ask the neighbors for a reliable lawn service or maybe try home advisors call them & tell them what you need usually within an hour yard workers will call to set up appt. I usually google them before they come just to read any replies customers left. Home advisors usually only have the best to make it on their lists. Heard bad things about Angie's list I would avoid them. 

Respected Contributor

Call your County's office for aging.   They might have some advice.  If you are in NYS, call NYConnects - they offer advice to seniors, and are in every County.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou 

Sign up to Nextdoor, the neighborhood website.  You can connect with neigbors in your and surrounding towns. 

Post on there you are looking for someone to cut your lawn at a reasonable price.  Some neighbors will recommend a few they use, have used.  Also, those who do cut lawn will offer their services.

https://nextdoor.com 

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou 

I think first I would talk to my neighbors.  Find out who they use.  If they do their yards themselves, ask if they would be willing to do yours and how much they would charge.  Also, if you have a park office bulletin board where people can post ads.  My parents lived in a mobile park and there were always notices from people willing to do work in the park.

If your neighbors are having the same problem getting and keeping help, see if you can get several together, see how much everyone can pay, and then try to hire a professional service.  If there are several yards to do, it may be more worth a company’s time than just one or two.

Do you have a small neighborhood newspaper?  We have what we call a “Shopper” here.  It’s a weekly free paper we get in the mail.  It only has ads from businesses and individuals.  It always has ads for people that do lawn work or handymen.  Often they advertise senior discounts.

I would also check with your park management and explain your situation.  Again, if you have any neighbors with the same problem, go in with them too.  The management may have some suggestions for you.  And if several of you go, you’ll make more of an impact and may get a better response.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

What is HOA ?

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

What is HOA ?

@BeccaLou   HOA stands for Homeowner's Association.  If you had one for your neighborhood you would be aware of it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@BeccaLou We have a huge place to maintain.  While my husband and I are still able to use the mowers we cannot get a person to do weedwacking and minor maintenance.  We have called numerous people who advertise for these services and never even get a reply.  The yardman we had last year has not returned 3 calls so I can take this as a no.  At least have the courtesy to respond.  I have spoken to many people and we are all in the same boat.  Nobody wants small jobs.