Honored Contributor

Re: "Hello!" and good thoughts to chickenbutt❤️

CB, just thinking of you. Checked in to see if you were back.  Wish we could have an update and that all is well with you. I'll be checking.

Super Contributor

@chickenbutt is posting in Community Chat today. 

Honored Contributor

Hiya dooB, et al!  Nice seeing you and thank you ALL for the wonderful thoughts.  

I had kind of backed away when it seemed like so many people, thankfully not the majority but enough to dirty up the place, are so bent on being mean and rude.  Seems so unnecessary.

But then, in September, I fell and broke my left arm very badly.  Doing ok and even getting where I can kind of use it as long as no pressure or weight on it.   Of the two bones in the forearm, the smaller one had a hairline all the way across it and the larger one was fully broken in half and displaced.

I know people deal with worse stuff, so I'm not trying to throw myself a pity party, but this has been one of the most difficult things I've gone through in a very long time!   First of all, being that I'm left-handed, it has left me where I can hardly do anything.  I am totally worthless with the right hand, plus the arthritis on the right hand has been worse so it has aggravated that and then I developed a 'trigger thumb' on that side.  The ortho doc I'm going to for the broken arm gave me a cortisone shot and thst really helped at night but it was screaming during the day because of having to use it for everything.

So, he put this 'thumb brace' on me andl et me tell you - this has been magical!   I would highly recommend this particular one.

I had 3 different casts on the left arm and am now just with a brace but last week the phys therapy man told me to start taking it off sometimes to get the arm used to movement.  But tht thumb is having al ot of pain too, so now i have a thumb brace for that one.    I'm like some kind of cyborg now. hehe

Anyway, it is great to see the NICE folks here and I sincerely appreciately the thoughts and kindnesses of you all.

Heart

PS:  Aubergine - do I know you from a previous name?  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

"PS: Aubergine - do I know you from a previous name? "

@chickenbutt No, I always used this name.

I spelled it wrong at first lol! (I think I had it as Aubergene) and fixed it but same old name. We posted together a few times. Smiley Happy

Glad your back! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Aubergine wrote:

I spelled it wrong at first lol! (I think I had it as Aubergene) and fixed it but same old name. We posted together a few times. Smiley Happy

Glad you're back! Smiley Happy

Thank you so much and sorry about that.  My memory is getting so bad that I'm turning into an idiot lately.   I used to have such a good memory and only now do I really appreciate that.   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

It's good to see you back @chickenbutt, and so sorry about your arm!  I've never broken anything.  It must be very painful.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

@AuberriJean wrote:

Glad you're back! Smiley Happy

Thank you so much and sorry about that.  My memory is getting so bad that I'm turning into an idiot lately.   I used to have such a good memory and only now do I really appreciate that.   Smiley Happy

You're welcome!  No worries.  ❤️

Honored Contributor

NickNack wrote:

It's good to see you back @chickenbutt, and so sorry about your arm!  I've never broken anything.  It must be very painful.

At first, the pain was something I can't even describe.  I've had a lot of different and severe pains in my life but this was just beyond for the first few days.  It was like it was more trauma pain than injury pain or something - that's the only way I can describe it.  It would have taken Morphine (which I didn't get) to even touch that pain.

Fortunately, it morphed into regular injury pain.   The woman I saw the next day at the orthopaedic center was going to do this thing, because of the larger bone being broken in half and displaced.  First she gave me a shot - which started out ok and ended up SCREAMING pain that had me wailing and I'm not one to wail.  I try to keep it together in polite company.

Then she said she was going to pull on it so she had the other woman hold my elbow down and she began kind of gently pulling on my hand.  Of course, I didn't look as I cannot look at shots or anything like that.  I had a feeling it might be bad.  Anyway, pulling...pulling...pulling - then WHAT THE HECK?  she did something that hurt in a whole new way, on a whole new planet, from anything so far.

My husband watched and said that she suddenly jerked my hand back al the way  and then forward all the way.  Yikes!  Glad I didn't see any of that.   But I guess she pretty much got the bone back to where it should have been.  Then another cast and etc.

I hve to do a lot of exercises, plus physical therapy, to get it where I can move things again.  Slow going.  For a while there I couldn't do anything at all so I've seen a lot of progress.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

At first, the pain was something I can't even describe.  I've had a lot of different and severe pains in my life but this was just beyond for the first few days.  It was like it was more trauma pain than injury pain or something - that's the only way I can describe it.  It would have taken Morphine (which I didn't get) to even touch that pain.

Fortunately, it morphed into regular injury pain.   The woman I saw the next day at the orthopaedic center was going to do this thing, because of the larger bone being broken in half and displaced.  First she gave me a shot - which started out ok and ended up SCREAMING pain that had me wailing and I'm not one to wail.  I try to keep it together in polite company.

Then she said she was going to pull on it so she had the other woman hold my elbow down and she began kind of gently pulling on my hand.  Of course, I didn't look as I cannot look at shots or anything like that.  I had a feeling it might be bad.  Anyway, pulling...pulling...pulling - then WHAT THE HECK?  she did something that hurt in a whole new way, on a whole new planet, from anything so far.

My husband watched and said that she suddenly jerked my hand back al the way  and then forward all the way.  Yikes!  Glad I didn't see any of that.   But I guess she pretty much got the bone back to where it should have been.  Then another cast and etc.

I hve to do a lot of exercises, plus physical therapy, to get it where I can move things again.  Slow going.  For a while there I couldn't do anything at all so I've seen a lot of progress.

This makes me hurt just reading about it!  How painful!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt: Great to see you posting. Ouch! Never had broken bones but a lot of orthopedic surgery. I always called the physical therapy room : the torcher chamber. I fainted a few times during therapy. My orthopedic doctor was the first doctor in sports medicine. I witnessed big football players screaming during therapy. I regret not getting as many autographs as possible during that time. SouthernBee