Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 Well-said! I know you have been on these boards a long time, as have I. Let's hope and pray that this virus will be conquered and we can all do more things.

Healthy new year to you and your DH.

-Solar Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Getting Old Is Awful"

[ Edited ]
@fairydogmother 

What is your "old" age?  Your routine certainly would not work for me.

I am 70. Is this a problem for you?

Just curious?  I had your energy at 70 also!

As you get older (than 70) life changes and you can find yourself alone and sometimes, lonely.  I live in a 55+ community and I witness it every day.  Your health is declining, you lose your spouse......friends and neighbors pass away or move away.  You can find yourself very alone!

Enjoy while you can!  Hope it lasts a long time!

Believe me, 70 isn't old

Honored Contributor

Daddy used to say that thing about the mocassins.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

Re: "Getting Old Is Awful"

[ Edited ]

@Zhills i believe my posts did acknowledge that  loneliness and poor health are valid concerns. My stories about volunteering were not intended to diminish that. Nor to engage in a debate about what age is considered "old", or to be competitive about who has more energy. Actually after my weekly four hour morning shift at the free clinic, I come home and take a two hour nap 😴 

Merely to point out that regardless of your situation, reaching out to others who may be even worse off, can give you purpose and a reason to get up in the morning. Or doing simple tasks that might make someone's life easier. 
Doesn't have to be newsworthy or life changing. Maybe an organization could use you to stuff and address envelopes. Feed and water someone's pets. I could go on but you get the idea. 

do you live in Zephyrhills Fla by any chance? Guessing from your nickname. Lol

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

Forgot to mention, volunteer work. I have two volunteer jobs. One is at a free medical clinic where I am a greeter, I assist patients to get signed in for their appointments, get their meds from our pharmacy, answer questions and chitchat with them. Our patients are mostly poor and struggling in some way. I try to remember their names, ask about their families. Sometimes a word or two in Spanish to our many Hispanic patients. 
I work a four hour shift, one day a week 

I also volunteer evening several hours a week at a hospice facility. There, I screen and unlock the door for visitors, assist them with signing in, show them to the patient's room if they are new. I answer the phone and the call lights. Often give a sympathetic listening ear to distraught families. My work helps the nurses, they can give patient care with fewer interruptions. 
Another job I do there, on Thursday mornings, is making phone calls to home hospice patients, to check that they have all supplies, meds, etc. necessary to get through the weekend. My volunteer manager gives me a list of folks. 

My point is, looking for opportunities in your community to help someone is almost a guarantee against loneliness. Big or small, there is something for you to do. 
I found my jobs through volunteermatch.com 

This is wonderful that you do this @fairydogmother .  I know they all must appreciate your assistance.

Esteemed Contributor

I live near Zephyrhills, Wesley Chapel and Plant City and New Tampa... South Pasco County.

I wasn't arguing your point about age.  I was just remembering when I was 70.  I got married.  Had lots of energy.  I have neighbors over 90, going strong!

"Gone are the days....."

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

No, getting old isn't awful. Only if you make it that way, It's all up to you! I took cobtrol of my life almost 2 years ago. I am 68, lost 70 lbs, walk, eat healthy and I feel GREAT!! My entire disposition has changed. I turned off the news, don't watch anything now. I know nothing about the virus, therefore I am not bothered by it. Life is normal for me. OP only you can take control of your own life...the time is NOW. Good luck. 

@ID2    Ignorance may be bliss but it can also kill you.  Taking control of your life includes protecting yourself, and you can't effectively do that if you don't know what going on in your world.  Good luck to you.

I agree that not knowing about what's going on with the virus can by risky @ID2 . 

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I live near Zephyrhills, Wesley Chapel and Plant City and New Tampa... South Pasco County.

I wasn't arguing your point about age.  I was just remembering when I was 70.  I got married.  Had lots of energy.  I have neighbors over 90, going strong!

"Gone are the days....."

Aha. We are practically neighbors. I'm in north Lakeland. And I know you weren't being argumentative. I'm sorry that I sounded defensive. It's good to meet you. 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

I grew up in Eaton Park, just south of Lakeland.  Very familiar with North Lakeland.

Respected Contributor

My DH passed just over two years ago, then covid hit. It has been a major struggle emotionally and financially, and yes, very depressing at times, but I try to find little ways to do something nice for myself every day. I exercise daily, keep in touch with friends and relatives by text or phone calls frequently, and pray a lot for strength.

I take one day at a time and that is what is getting me through this mess we are in. I have a lot of kind, caring neighbors who keep in constant touch with me to see how I am doing. I don't know what I would do without them.

@BeccaLou ...I pray that you will find the strength to get through these difficult times.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.