Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dreading my Husband's Return

Problem solved in my house:  DH not allowed to use kitchen appliances.  Period.

I do make exceptions but it is with a firm hand and explicit instructions.  The last time I went out of town, he held together the fort quite well, except for managing to bang the cookie jar on top of the range and dinging a huge slab of enamel off.  Go figure!

We have a nice routine that works for us.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I don't get the man bashing.  It's not nice and the statements aren't true.  All men are not alike.

It's a generational thing.  These are older people who have bought into the idea that the house cleaning is woman's work and men shouldn't be expected to clean up after themselves.  My parents would be in their 90's if they were alive and my mother would be having this same type of conversation.  "he messes up my nice clean kitchen" or "he doesn't put things away where they belong".  Hubby and I are in our late 50's,  my girls are in their 30's.  It's inconceivable to me that any of our husbands would make a mess in the kitchen or anywhere else in the house and just walk away expecting "she'll clean it up".  

Trusted Contributor

I have to laugh at this post.  My Husband and one son were gone for the weekend.  Saturday night my daugher and I cleaned the kitchen decorated our table for Halloween.  Those 2 walked in the door yesterday afternoon and covered the table with their junk.  ERRR.  Not happy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now my husband might make a wee bit of a mess but he tries to clean it up, of course I go behind and do it my way, which is the right way.. LOL

He says he didn't hear this in our wedding vows**  thou shalt not tell her your way of doing things is better & shorter, thou shalt not touch her washer & dryer or dishwasher, LOL .. 

Let me see, I may complain about stuff but he has enough on his mind what with his 89yr old advancing alzheimers mom with liver, pancreas and colon cancer- living in one city during the week to be with her & coming home on the week-ends and add to that he's working so I try to cut him some serious slack.. Now that's not saying the other me comes out but I have to rein her in, LOL ..

It all meshes together and after almost 32yrs, I wouldn't have it any other way.. except have mom not be in this condition and wilting away from us..  Heart

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

I know the OP was in good fun but as usual along comes the man bashing.

I don't think men are slobs. I know lots of men who clean and keep their places neat. I'm guessing all of the married men that aren't into it know that if they did clean up they'd just be told they did it wrong so why bother.

Honored Contributor

It's all in the upbringing...no generalizations, please. My DH  who is 75, helped his Mom growing up wash dishes after dinner and learned to do his own laundry, etc. before leaving for college.

For 50 years, he's always helped around the house...some days doing more than me. It's give and take. Who has more time? So not to inflict my DIL w/ a slob, I taught my son how to pick up after himself, help w/ kitchen duties, laundry, etc. My DIL called after a month of marriage to thank me.

I don't think it's generational. DH is 75, son is 47. It's what's learned at home while growing up. 

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD, to be clear, I was not the one that made that comment about about me not being his mother.  I would never say that.

Also, to others in general, I was not man bashing.  I was only telling the truth about MY husband, and that is not bashing.  And, it wasn't just about the microwave.  I was just so happy by how clean it looked, I wanted to share.  I also cleaned my Oster oven (which my husband never uses), vacuumed and steam cleaned the kitchen floor, and cleaned out the pantry (threw away a bunch of expired food).  It's just easier to do all this without him around, especially the kitchen because he spends a lot of the morning sitting at the kitchen table.  

He cooks his own breakfast because he wants it as soon as he gets up in the morning.  I get up and go to the gym and then shower before I eat breakfast, and I don't eat bacon and eggs for breakfast normally.  I just grab a yogurt out of the refrigerator.  So, I can't ban him from using the appliances.  

Now, yardwork I can normally do while he is here.  He stays inside and I can work in the yard all day if it weren't just so hot and dry.  But, I have a task to do that involves a power tool that I think he probably would not like me using, so I would prefer he not be here.  

I like some alone time, and I will not be shamed for that.  We are all different.  He's enjoying his time on his boat.  He might even stay a day or two more if he feels like he can get some stuff done on it.  So, it's a win/win for us. 

Honored Contributor

Are we leaving out the women with messy houses who don't clean up after themselves and the hubbies have to do it? My friend's house is filthy...dirty dishes in the sink, sticky counters, towels/laundry piled on washer that are never done. 

Let's not put this just on men. If talking about married couples, either can be at fault or can work together to get the jobs done.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus , see my comment above yours.  We were probably posting at the same time.  I was only talking about my own personal situation, not men in general.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   👍🏻