Honored Contributor

Re: Dreading my Husband's Return

My husband is a neat freak! And he loves to clean! He and I both share the chores, and he is as good if not better than I am....He does laundry, cleans, cooks, cuts grass, keeps the cars super clean inside and out.....He is also very meticulous about his own appearance and bring out the iron in a heartbeat......lol!

Like I said we share the chores, but there are some things that he just does better than me....He even cleans our church along with others, but he genuinely likes to clean.......Now he will leave crumbs on the counter tops, but I figure thats a small thing compared to some things.....

Honored Contributor

To be clear @Icegoddess  I never said that you said that about you. I said that all about my husband.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess  Do you not feel like you have conquered a mountain when everything is pristine!  My husband rinses his coffee cup and then deposits it in my dishdrain rack where the coffee residue stains my rack and I cringe, but I would miss him if he were not here.  I feel your pain..........

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@dex wrote:

@Icegoddess I get it.My dh is very messy too.His mom never thought men should have to clean up behind themselves and he has committed to that.

These are the same men who carry that mentality into the workplace.  I worked in offices for over 40 years.  There was always a break room/kitchen.  The men NEVER wiped up a spill, started another pot of coffee when they took the last cup (or left a fraction of an ounce still on the burner), washed a dish or cup, cleaned their old food out of the refrigerator, or replaced a used up toilet paper roll in the staff bathroom.

I sometimes dreamed of leaving big notes around, saying "Your mother doesn't work here.....clean up after yourself."  

Years ago I worked for a large Wall Street law firm.  Attorneys frequently worked all hours of the night.  One morning I came into my office and there were dirty dishes, not paper plates, from Chinese food.  I took them and threw them into the garbage can.  Nothing was said to me about it.  I don't think they cared!

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Are we leaving out the women with messy houses who don't clean up after themselves and the hubbies have to do it? My friend's house is filthy...dirty dishes in the sink, sticky counters, towels/laundry piled on washer that are never done. 

Let's not put this just on men. If talking about married couples, either can be at fault or can work together to get the jobs done.

I have never understood why a man gets applauded for completing a household task. Why not the woman too? It is important that children see parents each pitching in..

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Contributor

Carmie, I so agree with you. My goodness. I would much rather have my family members making messes than not be here to do it. I instantly thought of my husband. I want him here with me. I also thought of Lisa Mason losing Gino. I felt her anguish after losing him. 

• Life is short. Let’s cherish  the moments with our loved ones. Don’t sweat the small stuff.
Honored Contributor

Sometimes I go into the kitchen now that my husband is retired and wonder how he can leave the mess he does. I realized that he is having issues with his vision. He doesn't actually see when the stove is full of grease on a burner or he has spilled something.

Considering he is a real peach about everything else, I clean up after him. Love him and appreciate that he is still around to clean up after when I read how many women on this board have lost their husband and would love to clean up after them...

I do sympathize with the OP, though. I think she is just venting a little and her thread was meant to be humorous.

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418  Amen to that!!

Honored Contributor

One day ,you will miss that messy man,i wish mine would return to me, he has been gone since 2013.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

One Less Egg to Fry.................