Esteemed Contributor

@BeccaLou, over the years, I have heard many people's opinion's about cancer treatment, the spreading of the disease and so forth.

Personally, I think there is a lot we do not know. 

One thing I have started doing, is if I have questions I write them down to take with me. Also, when we had a loved one in the hospital in very serious condition recently, my husband took a small notebood with him. He not only write down his questions, but he was able to write down some of the information we were being given as it was a lot to comprehend at the time. 

When you are being bombarded with medical info that you dont understand anyway, it helps to be able to ask questions and write it down. 

I wish your friend well. 

Honored Contributor

Re: "Bioposies "

[ Edited ]

After battling at this point 4 cancers in my husband, I think have a few points if interest and info on detecting cancers, many of them.

An extended type of illness, a lump many times can be the first sign(s) of something wrong. Once you've seen a Dr, the first thing he will probably order is a complete blood panel to include a test to denote a CEA marker whihc stands for carcinoembryonic antigen. We all have this antigen, some of us are lucky enough to never have it flair up.If it's high, and high means a count above 4. The Dr will then beging ordering scans ie CT, PET (upper body, lower body) to seek out tumors. Not all tumors require a biopsy.

In my and DH experience he's had/needed (to date) only one biopsy in his left lung which did not go well - a 40 minute test that ended up him staying for 4 days because his lung collapsed when they removed the needle. We were told that's not unusual for the lung to collapse, it does mean staying overnight, or two or three. Not really a good experience but yes he was in the 40% it happens to.

Mostly the reason he had a biopsy done was to determine if his cancer tumors (one each small one in upper lung lobes) was metastatic to his first cancer, rectal. The tumors are which means a different treatment regiman for him, vs (just) lung cancers. He had surgery for the left tumor as it was the larger of the two, 3-5 treatments already scheduled for the right due to location right in the middle of the lobe.

I suspect a Dr could schedule a biopsy for suspected tumor also to determine malignant or not but I also believe a biopsy is not always required for determination.

Never forget in the onset of possible cancers, you can always seek a second opinion by another team. Don't sell yourself short of the BEST Drs and Nurses as well treatments.

Always take someone to go with you in all appointments. You as the patient will never get all your team talks about. Take pen & notebook to jot things down, you will need this. Ask lots of questions. Go home and yes, google everything your Drs talk about so you KNOW and understand what s/he talks about. Going into all appointments gives you the power to talk intelligently with your Drs/Nurses. Trust me, I know way too much that I should about cancers but I also feel really good about what I talk about with DH's Drs/Nurses and they know I know I've done my homework when I ask questions. I don't think a biopsy is always required to determine yes it's cancer, but when they are to determine something else, i have no problem with having a biopsy done.

Respected Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

I'm not sure what is being described in the original post. However, if one of my doctors told me he or she wanted a biopsy, if I weren't sure I'd get a second opinion. In all likelihood, though, I'd have the biopsy. I had two different cancers, one 20 years ago and the other 12 years ago. Without biopsies I wouldn't be here writing about this.

My story also; however, I'd also wonder what type of doctor is giving you this info bc the only person who EVER gave me that type of response was an oncological surgeon I used to see (I'm a cancer survivor of 9 years).   No other doctor has ever offered his opinion - always told to have it checked further. 

Honored Contributor

I just can not get past BIOPOSIES

Valued Contributor
It is just nice to be kind and understand what she is asking advice on.
Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I just can not get past BIOPOSIES

Such compassion.