Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Bioposies "

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@BeccaLou wrote:

@chrystaltree Not sure what is meant by wachy stuff like this?. She is really shook up and can't talk without crying.And I am not upsetting her.

You will if you give her your wacky theory about biopsies because I've never seen a cancer diagnosis or a possible cancer that did not require a biopsy.  You don't think that would upset her if you put that idea in her head?  She's a friend, so be a friend.  Support her in other ways, just don't share your medical theories with her.  She doesn't need that now.

@chrystaltree  I have read that biopsies are NOT recommended for testicular cancer due to spreading cancerous cells. 

Valued Contributor

Re: "Bioposies "

[ Edited ]

You sound like such a caring friend, @BeccaLou.  It is important that your friend trust her doctors as @Sheila P-Burg and @hckynut have suggested. 

Sometimes when a person gets scary news from the doctor, she will have a hard time hearing and understanding what the doctor has said. I don't blame you or your friend for being so worried, but I know your friend should go ahead with the biopsy. 

Biopsies are very important and won't spread the cancer. I'm a former RN, plus I've had biopsies as have had family members and friends. 

The best thing you can do I think is to give your friend a hug and tell her to listen to her doctor. If possible your friend needs to take someone with her to her appointments. Four ears are better than two. 

Take care of yourself, too, and don't take some of these posts written here to heart. You are a kind-hearted person. 

Honored Contributor

My dr found a lump during my annual exam last month. I had tests and biopsy and it is not cancer.  I'd hate to think I'd be going through chemo, radiation, or chemo medication without knowing for sure what it was. 

For me, I would not want to be treated for cancer without a biopsy.  A lump or shadow on an xray or CT can be a lot of things.  Cancer treatment is a very rough on the body and mind.

Keep the crazy talk out of it. She may say it doesn't bother her but maybe it does or she thinks about it later. No one needs to hear horror stories or quack medical information while going through cancer or a heart attack.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree I am not sharing my fears with her. I never said I did. Just needed to talk to some one. I don't need pain and agony of being thought of as an alarmist. 

Honored Contributor

@Ruby Laine   Please don't encourage this lady's behavior.  Please, if  you are indeed a medical professional, encourage seeking help through someone educated in human behavior, someone they can trust to attend an appointment, who will explain, in lay terms and fact versus myth, exactly what the doctor needs to do. 

Valued Contributor

@Nonametoday, you didn't read my post evidently. Either that or you are responding to the wrong person. 

Trusted Contributor

If they think it's bladder cancer they will have to do a biopsy first. If it turns out to be the case they will go in and remove it and then treat with chemo. That usually  involves putting the drug right into the bladder if it's an early stage. It's generally a very treatable cancer if caught early.

If she has concerns about this she needs to talk to her doctor and also be proactive after. She needs to be told what to look out for if it is cancer and she goes through the initial steps. Sometimes this cancer can spread even if it looks like everything is clear.

So please make sure that she gets all of her questions answered at that next appointment. She should make a list of questions to take with her and she should write down what they say so she can refer back when she's home and a little less stressed.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure what is being described in the original post. However, if one of my doctors told me he or she wanted a biopsy, if I weren't sure I'd get a second opinion. In all likelihood, though, I'd have the biopsy. I had two different cancers, one 20 years ago and the other 12 years ago. Without biopsies I wouldn't be here writing about this.

Esteemed Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

Do you feel biopsies can cause more damage than good. I have a friend that's Doctor told her that her cancer can be treated with medicines. That was was a relief but now he also wants to do bioposies and this was told to her with in a minute or two of the medicine option. But she didn't ask why. I would have ask why , I think it may cause the cancer to spread.It's internal cancer, and wonder how that can heal versus externally.Also I didn't hear any exact proof of cancer from him. 

So nice she has a friend for support.

If this is her first round with cancer she must be stunned.  As the years roll on you get used to it.  I do believe in biopsy and am getting two more.  Now it is more like I am going to get new nightgowns for the coming surgery.

Can you help her formulate a list of questions?  Perhaps another pair ears for the visit would be good.

In the meantime it can reassuring to have a normal life, with normal routines.  This is something you can provide.  A nice lunch out?

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking that a second opinion would be in order.

And, more important, some people should bring another person into the doc's office, maybe taking notes.

I've found that taking notes in a small notebook really enables the doc to give more exact information.  

'That way', one can go home and research the medical problem.  Etc., etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).