Honored Contributor

Re: portable air conditioners

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@SilleeMee....ha....sweat pants on the hose, is that because when it gets warm it sweats?   Has yours ever leaked?  I am leary of ordering on line then having to pay to return it.  They say this TSV unit is quiet, not sure what they mean by quiet!

So funnySmiley Very Happy. No,  the hose does not sweat...lol. I put the sweat pants on the hose to insulate it so it does'nt heat the room. There are no leaks. There's no place for it to leak...?..water? No. No leaks here.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Don't some of the large window units take 220 wiring?  When watching House Hunters when they're in the tropics especially, I often see these units mounted permanently high on the wall.  I think they heat and cool.  Seems like they're made by Mitsubishi.   I'd check them out.

Those are not portable. I know what you are talking about. Those need permanent install.

Esteemed Contributor

Hands down the worst purchase I ever made....I bought two of them from Evine a few years ago...thinking they would be more convenient then the window air conditioners...wrong..

They take up way too much room...I have carpeting so they do NOT move around like they show...they are noisy...and they had to be drained all the time...unfortunately they don't drain on there own...I had to lift and tilt them...they are very heavy so water would be all over the place....

If you didn't remember to drain them....they would just stop working...I hated them more then I could ever tell you...too costly to send back...I gave both of them away and bought two window units again...

Respected Contributor

I live in a 2 story townhouse with central air but feel that it's a waste of energy to cool the whole house during the night when the only room that needs to be cooled is the bedroom. The HOA will not allow a window unit so we have used a portable unit for just under 25 years. I'm on my 2nd unit. After a few years the hose needs to be replaced due to cracking. I have picked them up on Amazon at about a quarter of the price of the manufacturers replacement part. After a few years I found myself needing to drain the unit often so I leave the drain open with the attached hose into an empty bucket. Problem solve. It doesn't make the room very cold but it is comfortable. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

If you don't mind the noise. We bought one from HSN to have on hand if/when the AC does not work. It was so noisy that we returned it.

Honored Contributor

I didn't buy mine from any shopping channel though that is where I first saw them I bought mine from Sears after doing some serious studying of these beasts. If you do some homework, you will see that there are single-hose units (like the one hsn is selling today) and there are dual-hose units.  After researching the difference between the two, I bought a dual-hose unit for good reasons. Please look into this info before you decide to drop your money. Bottom line is dual-hose units are better all around.

Honored Contributor

In a real pinch several years ago during a horrible heat wave, we went to one of the big box stores and got the last one they had in stock.

I'm not that impressed. 

Don't know that much about all the kinds, but this one has one hose, it is unsightly, noisy, and doesn't cool very well at all. The gizmo they give you to put in the window and attach the hose to doesn't want to stay put, and the hose pops out easily.  Unless we are really desperate with a very long and very hot spell, it just isn't worth dealing with.

We still have a window air conditioner, and it works so much better, but we had new windows installed and I'm afraid of damaging the widows by putting it in, but I may resort back to it.

It doesn't leak or drip any water and there is nothing to empty. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

I have a window unit in my bedroom and I leave it in place year round.  I actually had them cut a hole in my wall because I only have sliding doors in my bedroom.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Don't some of the large window units take 220 wiring?  When watching House Hunters when they're in the tropics especially, I often see these units mounted permanently high on the wall.  I think they heat and cool.  Seems like they're made by Mitsubishi.   I'd check them out.

I've been thinking of checking those permanent ones out, just haven't done it yet.  Last summer, my central AC was on the fritz after the chiller coils leaked coolant into the pan in my attic & it took a few days to order the new coil assembly from Lennox's warehouse.  While I was waiting, the repair place brought me a portable unit as a loaner to use in my bedroom, so I could at least sleep, since it was 110° outside & 95° in my house.  My bedroom has only a patio slider & no window, so a portable is not ideal since the vent is made for using in a window, but it helped for the couple of days I used it.

I'm due for my annual central AC checkup & plan on asking about one of the Mitsubishi wall units to see if it would be possible to install one in my bedroom wall.

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've been thinking of checking those permanent ones out, just haven't done it yet.  Last summer, my central AC was on the fritz after the chiller coils leaked coolant into the pan in my attic & it took a few days to order the new coil assembly from Lennox's warehouse.  While I was waiting, the repair place brought me a portable unit as a loaner to use in my bedroom, so I could at least sleep, since it was 110° outside & 95° in my house.  My bedroom has only a patio slider & no window, so a portable is not ideal since the vent is made for using in a window, but it helped for the couple of days I used it.

I'm due for my annual central AC checkup & plan on asking about one of the Mitsubishi wall units to see if it would be possible to install one in my bedroom wall.

We looked at the single units that heat and cool it was $4500 for just one unit.....we have ceiling cable heat so centrail air is not do able in this house.