Respected Contributor

“Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.”

Søren Kierkegaard

Honored Contributor

Yes, I agree.  We can understand and make sense of the past but when changes face us we need to move forward and understand the new, the different, the meanings.  I am a person who asks questions, who is curious, who wants to continue to learn. Just my interpretation !!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Somewhat true.  We reflect and learn from our experiences/our past.  Hopefully we use that knowledge as we forge ahead into our future.  So, in a sense, our past is also a living reality brought forward into our future...hopefully in a conscious intentional way that will improve our future.

Honored Contributor

A lot of truth to this!  So much of what is happening to us --- we can't understand it while it is going on.  After it's in the rearview mirror, some of it we can understand and some makes sense.  Some things do happen for a reason and looking back, we can see that.  We can't dwell on things from the past, no matter how painful.  We do have to keep our eyes forward and keep moving ahead and living for today and onward.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

"Understood backwards" makes sense, but "lived forwards" seems obvious. How could one do otherwise?

Honored Contributor

True. So often I say to myself "Oh, now I get it!" I didn't have the maturity or life experience to understand some things until I was in my 50s.